Hi everyone, I started this project a few days ago. It is a Box Elder Burl that I hollowed out with an arbortech and plan on getting a 36” glass top for it. I am wandering how to finish the outside. Due to the pressure washing. It has made the surface a little ruff. So I am not sure if I should sand it and just show the figure or keep it natural. I still have a little bit more of hollowing it out. I also plan on sanding the inside and figure out how to make the figure pop out visuall...
Finally finished the Entertainment Center. Fist of would like to thank all our fellow Lumberjocks who helped and gave me advice and support throughout this project…. • Woodwhisper for color ideas, Charels Neil for my streaking dye help, Storemore for glass top idea and Spalm, Blackcherry, Gary K, Childress, Ken C, Lee Jesbernger, Joe Lyddon, Degoose, Lew, Plantek, Don H, TDV, Rick Demmington, Mafe, Dennis Grossen, 3fingerpat, Beginningwoodworker, DCLW, Scott Byran & any that I ...
Finished the molds today! The molds create the form upon which the boat will be built. There are 5 mold forms for this boat. The shape of the molds are taken right from the lofting drawing. Picking Up refers to techniques of transferring shapes on the lofting to boards so that the shapes can be cut out. To pick up the mold shapes, I ground off half of the heads of a few dozen nails so that they would lay flat exactly on the lines in the drawing that I wanted to transfer. I then placed boar...
This is entirely the method shown by Roy Underhill but with color pictures and timbers which he has probably never worked with. What is a glut? A glut is a wooden wedge used to split timbers green from the woods.Made from wood, to split wood! Made entirely with a handsaw and an axe. Start with about a 2’ section of log 4-5” in diameter. This is my SUV carrying it back from the woods.Here I am use Australian Blackwood. I have about 50 of these dead standing ones which ...
I have finally gotten around to making a real workbench for my new, and smaller, shop (see my previous entry). I am in the planning phase right now. I’ve been pouring over plans, books, philosophy of workbench design. I guess it’s safe to say I may be over thinking this. But the design is half the fun. So, I’ve put together a journal that you can download and look at. It has pictures and explanations of some of the design considerations I’m mulling over. I am ...
I’ve created 9 – 3-3/4” patterns and 6 – 5-3/4” patterns that you can pick from to chip carve. Creating your own patterns is encouraged too. Here’s a glimpse of one page of the 3-3/4” patterns. The easiest way I could come up with for you to be able to download these quilt square patterns I’ve prepared, is to post them in the My Chip Carving Member area. If you are already a member – log in and go to the Pattern Vault and look...
Hello, this is probably my last workbench blog entry, now that my bench is complete! Like I said in my last blog, the workbench has been complete a couple weeks before this post on November 12. With my last post I had wrote about completing the base. After I had the base assembled, glued up, and drawbored I placed the bench top onto the base. Previous to putting the top on the base I had put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the underside of the top. The top is removable from the base, I deci...
In this episode I go over the installation of the drawer slides. It is very important to remember that the width of you drawer box is the key to a successful slide installation.
I have been working on this project time permitting. Had end of school year stuff with the kids, a surprise visit from some relatives, and of course been busy traveling for work, so it has been interment to say the best :( So, I got this puppy glued up a couple of weekends ago. After fighting with a shelf that I messed up on and had to remake a new one. Talk about frustation, nothing went right with it and it took me a couple of weeks just to build one new shelf.Now this project has had many...
Time to make the lid. Easy enough, I made it overlap about a half inch on each side (mostly dictated based on the size of the project panels that I used) and 1.5” on the front for the lifting of the lid. I should comment here on the project panels issue. I bought the standard project pine panels for this project at Home Depot and I felt a bit guilty about it. I told my fiancee when I bought them that I felt like I was “cheating” and that buying the pre assembled pane...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1465 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1489 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries