The strongback is completed and the molds are in position. Starting to take shape! The strongback is the very flat, level and squared box in the photos below. It is attached to short (2 foot high) sawhorses on each end. The molds are attached and braced to the strongback. The boat will be constructed upside down over the molds. So far, I haven’t built anything that will be an actual piece of the boat when it’s completed! Everything in the pictures below will eventually go to the l...
I finished lining off the planks today. Lining off is the process with which you project the final plank layout onto the hull. My first attempt at this didn’t go so well. Thanks to some suggestions from some fellow lumberjocks, I took the time to learn more about the process and I’m much happier with the results. The book, Building Small Boats by Greg Rossel, as recommended by DaveR, is an exceptional resource and I basically used the process in the lining off chapter. Results ...
Forgive me, I don’t hang out here all that often. I finally had the opportunity to visit a master woodworker who still uses traditional methods and tools. So I thought I share a few snapshots with y’all. In fact traditional Chinese woodworking has been quite illusive. A few times a almost had the opportunity to visit a traditional shop it turned out that the woodworker retired and gave all his tools away. Finally, three weeks ago and with the help of good friends we were able t...
I spent a lot of time looking on the internet for a Jig or fixture to use to install a set of quadrant hinges. The quadrant hinge is a complicated-looking L-shaped hinge that is use in the jewelry boxes that I make. It helps to remember that a quadrant hinge is simply a butt hinge with integral lid stay or stop.The arms of the hinge extend along the sides of the lid and base of the box and the internal stop bar extends from and recesses into a mortise in the box wall and lid. The jewelry box ...
Completed the transom today. The transom is the back section of the boat where I’ll mount the 250hp Mercury outboard. (Just kidding). Transom is 1” thick black cherry. I choose cherry because I like it and I have a lot of it from a tree I milled a few years ago. Here is the glue up with epoxy. Joints are splined with pine. Straightfoward so far. This next part gave me a headache for awhile. The edge around the transom is a compound beveled edge and the entire transom ...
Just a few more steps left before I can start putting the planking on the sides. Cutting in the Rabbet Between Stem and Keel The next crucial step is cutting in the rabbet between the Stem and Keel. This was done entirely by hand with a few sharp chisels. I used a small piece of wood (3”x1”x3/8”) as a template, representing the plank, to ensure a smooth transition as I cut away the rabbet. Here is the before picture: And the after picture. This was done on both ...
Lesson 3: Pattern Development The project we are tackling in this class is a chip carved quilt. Quilt patterns lend themselves very well to chip carving. Geometric in nature, various elements of a quilt pattern can be removed to create a carved version of the fabric quilt. If there is a quilter in your household, no doubt there will be a book, magazine, or quilting journal in the bookcase, magazine rack, or under the bed (maybe only in my house). Get one out and page through it thinking...
The First Garboard Plank The first plank is on! It has been the most difficult part of the build so far. I’ve gone through 4 planks to get it right. For my fellow LJers who may be wondering, I’ve put in a few hours here and there, but I’ve taken quite a bit of time away from the project since the holidays. I’m exciting to be focused again. The challenge with this is getting the plank flush and tight into the rabbit along the keel. It’s a tough plank bec...
Greetings.. Things are moving along well with the boat construction. This part in the series is cutting out the stem and knee parts which form the front “backbone” of the boat. To do this, I created templates from 1/8” birch plywood and used those as patterns to cut the actual parts from 2” thick white oak. To get the shape of the templates, I used the same picking up method as I used when getting the shapes from the drawing to the actual molds in part 2. This in...
Hi everyone, I started this project a few days ago. It is a Box Elder Burl that I hollowed out with an arbortech and plan on getting a 36” glass top for it. I am wandering how to finish the outside. Due to the pressure washing. It has made the surface a little ruff. So I am not sure if I should sand it and just show the figure or keep it natural. I still have a little bit more of hollowing it out. I also plan on sanding the inside and figure out how to make the figure pop out visuall...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1402 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1426 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 172 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries