I picked up a Henry Taylor curved gouge at Hardwick’s in Seattle for this project. I think it’s a 13mm #6 sweep, which is slightly bigger than ideal, but I expect to mostly be using it for larger projects than this. It sharpened up nicely and carves the cherry very well. Bigger cuts feel like hard ice cream, which I understand is about right. Toward the end I ended up doing very light cuts which felt almost like shaving or planing, which surprised me. Won’t need much sa...
I started a wooden spoon as a practice carving project. It’s kind of like a very miniature mandolin back plate, neck and head stock. My coping saw is right near the top of the list for my least favorite tool, but it got the job done with a little help from a keyhole saw to cut the outline from a cherry blank (left over from the knife handles). The design will be very simple for this first one with an eye for actually being usable. It’s only slightly bigger than a large t...
I decided to abandon the firewood plane blank after I realized it was lodgepole pine. I’m playing it safe by using a Maple turning blank. It was about 2×2x20. I cut it down to two 10” segments and glued them together to make a 2×4x10 blank. It will be a little wider than necessary, but I’ll have plenty of room for error when I rip the sides. It also turned out the blade on my thrift-store #5 is more pitted than I had hoped. I sharpened it as best I cou...
It was enjoyable building the cradle, but there were a few things that caused me some grief and hopefully this will help someone else avoid the same mistakes. I used Peruvian Walnut and thicknessed it to 7/8”.The rockers were made from Tigerwood (Congolo Alves) and were finished at 1 1/4” thick.Length of this cradle was 39”, width was 16”. If you require any other measurements, let me know and I can get them (I know the owner). Here is the PDF from Leigh which...
Finally I can begin to assemble the pieces and get this project finished before she grows up and leaves home… In order to clamp the cradle sides and ends, I had to fashion some “brackets” or cauls to support my clamps which would keep the same angle and stay off of the dovetails while I glued it together. Since there was at least a week between cutting the pieces and assembly (I had burned my left hand in a yard fire and that kept me out of the shop for almost 4 d...
It seems I had nothing better to do tonight, because I ended up splitting a plane blank out of a piece of firewood and planing the four faces down. Partially it was to see if I could do it. Partially it was to try out a beater Stanley #5 I picked up a few weeks ago without having to go through the trouble of actually lapping, sharpening or otherwise tuning it properly. And partially I realized the turning blanks I picked up from the Rockler scrap bin are probably just a bit too small...
September 16, 2011 Our first granddaughter was born today, and although I had thought about it for some time leading up to her birth, other “more important things” just kept coming up, but now that she is here, I am seriously starting to build this cradle and don’t really think it will take more than a couple weekends of hard work. I think she is smiling as she knows that is not going to happen… Problem number 1 arrived unexpectedly as the Peruvian Walnut ...
At the moment I don’t have much time to work on all my unfinished project but hopefully this weekend I can finish two of my tills for my carpenters trunk. I’ve been needing a place to store my tool out of the way when not needed so I put together a carpenters trunk. I don’t have much money so it’s only made from pine but i hope one day to build one out of a harder wood. I’m thinking walnut or oak. Well I dovetailed the sides and grooved in the top and bottom. I s...
The last installment of this series was originally titled Milling the stiles and rails and described prepping the blanks for the panels. Sigh. Sorry about that. I’ve fixed that entry title. This door would be for the passage between my foyer and formal living room, so I thought the best side should face the foyer. I inspected each blank for the stiles and rails and picked out the best side as the “foyer” side, marking each part with chalk to indicated what part it was...
One day I was needing a dovetail square, so I could just lay out my dovetails in the vise and then start cutting. At the moment I have to have the bourd stick out of the vise to high or take it out completely, so I decided to make one. All the squares i have are 6” or longer. I stared out by sawing and planing the handle square and to a half inch thick. Then I cut an 1/8” notch into the top of the handle for the blade to sit in. I then cutout and squared the blade. After that I gl...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries