Put on two coats of Deft semigloss, then made drawer pulls and door handles from recycled ebony piano keys, added an interior baltic birch panel and the most important thing, I got The cabinet mounted on the wall. The moulded edge was masked off and two coats of stain applied prior to gluing the door frame, now that the surrounding parts are finished, the color difference is hardly noticeable, my experiment worked kinda, oh well…Still have a load of decisions to make to figure ou...
Well, late last night, went out and bought two packs of sandpaper, 60 grit & 100 grit. Gave the pine a good sanding all the way around, with both grits in a Palm sander. Dusted the now smooth mess off. Gave both faces of the door a good thick coat of Kilz Exterior Primer, and let it set overnight. Somehow, I managed to get paint on 9 out of 10 fingers, AND the door, and not one other thing in the entire shop! SKILL! Ok, this morning, brought the door up out of the Dungeon...
FINALLY! First, needed some rebates for the screen’s frame to sit in. Don’t have a wide enough bit for the router, BUT, I do happen to have a couple planes that seem to work nicely This one is a Traditional Chinese Edge Plane I build awhile ago. Set the fence for 1/2” and push it along until it is almost all the way down to …3/16” deep. Then go over it with an Iron plane, since it does have a depth stop Hmmm, Noodles, anyone? Ok, rebates all lo...
Ok, last episode, I was getting a center stile made. Well, after measuring three times, the dang thing still was short. Yanked it out of the door frame, used it to mark another board. THIS time, I held the new blank to it’s new home, and marked things out, and cut leaving the lines. I needed to cut a groove on both edges of the now center stile. Clamped it into the bench vise, and gave this old boy a work out First a little hammer work to center the cutter. Might have had ...
Well, after much cussing and fighting, got all the rails fitted to their mortises. This being the last on this side of the door. Wound up making it an open ended affair. The lock rail took the longest, and I think I traced it’s ancestry back about ten generations… Ok, when I go to assemble the door for the final time, I will install a few wedges into each tenon, then pin the joint with a couple of dowel pins. Managed to measure for the center stile, and get the measu...
Back door has a nasty looking, white, metal screen door. Seen way better days. Have been told by the BOSS to make a new screen door. Trip to Menards, picked out a few 1×4 x8’ Pine boards (3) a couple 1×6s and a couple 1×8s. Maybe $26+tax? Got things down into the Dungeon Shop to lay stuff out Hmm, might get a little bit crowded down here. Laid out the parts to locate a few joints And somehow managed to open the tool chests, to drag out a few tools ...
My daughter Erin came out to the shop and scrolled me some Christmas ornaments for a charity event my Guild participates in each year.She is a natural-born artist, and I don’t have to tell you how much it means for her to come out there and join me in the shop every once in a while.Music playing, beautiful weather, & having great company in the shop equals a very nice morning.I am very blessed.
Yesterday I had a little change of plans. While I had intended to finish up the Gothic Bat Pillar Candle holders, I kind of got side tracked and decided to do some more cutting instead. I had not added to my regular candle trays in quite a while – even though I have many more ideas, and when I created the pillar candle holders, I also thought that a similar design would translate to a candle tray as well. So the other morning when I was up early I decided to draw up a designs, as ...
Not being the most creative and obviously skilled I have taken up a huge project that I am hoping will make things functional and smooth for every project to come. I recently acquired a Dewalt planer DW 733 and a DW 745 for 350.00 in great condition from a close friend. My hope and plan is to do right by him and use them until they die or I die. The goal a large “L” shaped work station that will house a table saw area, compound miter station, planing section, router station and ...
As promised some news on the marquetry top for the treasure box series #2 The challenge here is to insert the oval white bone inlay first then cut the rest of the background repositioning the pack perfectly as some of the marquetry looks like it moves in front and in the back of those bones. I first build the pack with 4 layers of paperbacked ebony sawn veneer I used a idea of mine and an idea from Patrick to locate perfectly the veneer with the 2 drawings that had to be used...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1509 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1533 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries