I didn’t write the final post last week as I was pretty busy with my 20th wedding anniversary. Last weekend I had planned on flattening the tops on my last day off but only got half of it done. I had decided to use the router to flatten it, using a sled and rails. I saw the technique on the Wood Whisperer video and thought it was a good idea. So I went to the big box and got two 2×6 kiln dried 8’ long boards for the rails. The first thing it to make the edges straight and ...
Well, last seen, that Island Project needed a door installed. Boss brought home a pair of oversized hinges of brass plated slendour. Then we went back out and found a magnetic catch to hold the thing closed. First off, the installed door.. Plywood had bowed a bit, in the wrong directions. Block plane to shave a few spots. Tried the catch at the top near the knob….didn’t catch. Ok, we’ll try at the bottom. Got the magnet part on. and the plate on…..F sty...
Having had my “road to Damascus” moment, the realisation dawned on me that although I had just had a world beating business idea; I in fact had absolutely no way in which to achieve its fruition. After all, here was I with no tools at all, other than a very worn Phillips screwdriver, a decrepit claw hammer, a knock-off 12mm Marples “blue” bevelled chisel (with sides that could only be described as having been ground using the kerb) and a rather cheap and nasty ¼” drive socket set missing the ...
After a long morning drinking my coffee and thinking about alternatives to keep working, I drove to the lumber yard and got a piece of baltic birch to make the flattening sled out of. When I came back I took my bent saw blade out and put a crescent wrench on the bent tooth. I moved it about three times and I think it may be useable. I soaked it in simple green to get the pitch off and I’ll try it tomorrow. I’m expecting that it’ll be a little rough but that’s ok. IR...
So, my task today was to cut up a piece of maple I bought the other day to make the gap stop and get it glued up in the clamps and then go over to family for Easter dinner. I set up the band saw and set about resawing the board into two halves. It went fine for the first 3/4 of the board then it was binding the blade and was not tracking straight, and not wanting to cut. I made a couple of adjustments, everything else looked fine in the setup. It just wouldn’t cut and was binding hor...
Where to start? At the beginning I suppose. Well, not the very beginning as that would entail going all the way back to a rather dreary wet Tuesday afternoon (and it was, I’ve checked) in an equally dreary and dank tenement building in Glasgow in 1968. For you dear reader I think perhaps that that may be a little too far and not very interesting and it would also be definitely far off the mark, as far as the subject of this tome to come is concerned, as could be. So, I guess I will begin s...
We were contacted by a client to restore his Boulle cartel clock. Boulle is no fun to restore, it is time consuming and quite a special. For budget reasons we are restoring his piece by stages. The clock is composed of 3 parts and each of them will be restored in 3 sessions. We will start with the top We remove the bronzes The unglued brass pieces are lifted and rubbing is made for the missing brass elements The cavities are full of oxidized glue that nee...
I put in an eleven hour day yesterday on this thing, the work was really kind of fun compared to the tedious work of digging out mortises of the day before. I’ve never tried the draw bore method of locking a mortise and tenon together. I didn’t even use clamps. Well this morning I just had to get the tops to fit on the tenons, so after trimming back a couple of mortise surfaces they both fit down snugly, a very sweet fit. As a bonus, the sides of the tops ended up flush wit...
I was out in the shop/garage at 8am today and didn’t finish until 7pm. I don’t recall taking a lunch break, or any break for that matter, the day just flew by. But I did get a while lot done. Yesterday was all fitting the mortises and tenons. That took all of yesterday and I left it dry fitted together. This morning I had five things to do before I could drill holes for the draw bore joints. I ran the legs across the table saw to chamfer the bottom edges, check the leg v...
Whew, my workweek is finally over and now I can have some fun. I’ve been thinking all week about today, particularly what I still need to get to push this project along. I needed a jig to cut the mortises, and I was looking at pattern bits and I came away with an education. Top bearing straight cut pattern bits are expensive. I didn’t want to spend that much so I went to woodcraft last week when I bought my last pieces of wood for the leg and rail, and picked up a guide bushing fr...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1562 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1587 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries