The Mirror Steeror Years ago a friend offered me a large pile of plexiglas mirror rejects. At the time I was teaching a science and carpentry class for kids, so I was always looking for interesting materials. While turning possibilities over in my mind, I took two pieces (8″ X 24″) and fastened them, side by side, to a board so that one curved in, the other out. The kids got a kick out of this. They could see their faces in weird shapes, which was good for a laugh, but left me wonderin...
Lets see if we can talk him in to walking a little bit. Toymakingdad built a caterpillar Automata and I just loved it so had to give it a try.I should add he gives a very complete how to with many problem solving ideas, because there can be problems getting everything just so.I never knew caterpillars could be so much trouble.It’s just made out of scraps I had laying around the shop.Pine and more pine. LOL Then I thought I would change it up a bit and make him one of ...
Well got another fairly warm day in the shop 50 degrees F. Cut out the derrick sides and made a glue up jig to hold them together while I added the cross braces.This is a little trickery because there are only three sides to it.This is one of the great things about these plans, just copy, print out the plans, glue them to some wood clamp it up and you have all the angles and places to drill marked out. Now glue on the braces and every thing will stay in place till the glue hardens. T...
It’s track day!!! part two Showed this last time but just wanted you to be able to see the difference in the jig. Drill the one finger then flip it and drill the other. [9/64 drill bit] Then started the other end using a 1/64 larger bit I’ll show pictures why later.I drilled a little passed center then flipped it over and drilled the other side.I added a board under the jig so the tread wouldn’t slip down under load I first drilled all the small fingered ones as ...
Played with the cabin today, thankfully the bad weather went around us here in Huntsville al.Went to Google and searched for a more modern looking cabin.The picture I liked was of the whole machine so the cabin was to small so took the picture printed it out then enlarger it. It took 4 tries at different sized before I found the right size.Then made 4 copy’s and cut and pasted on the wood cut them out and it’s done.Sounds easy but it took all day.I was planning to go rounder with ...
Cleaned up the mating edges then sanded some more on the base and engine cover then,played with the booms and bucket. Made the booms in three parts to add a little color and just change it around a little.Still need to plane down the booms some more . The bucket took quite a bit a work, first glue it all up then cut it out then sand sand sand.I cut out the inside of the bucket then sanded it up really good then glued up the sides.The main bucket is all end grain [1/4” thick] it co...
Edit 8 June 2015 Finished truck can be seen over here One of my preferences in woodworking is wooden toys. I have a special interest in trucks and the model of the Old Time Farm Truck by Ron Fritz, Creeksidewoodshop.com on the Google Sketchup 3D warehouse drew my attention. His model was in imperial dimensions and since I work in metric I redrew the truck in Sketchup with metric dimensions and also simplified it somewhat . You can convert imperial to mm in sketchup and the other way ro...
There’s still enough time left to put together a few toys before Christmas. Both of the woodworking clubs I belong to contribute home-made wooden toys to ‘special’ children each year. Some go to Baptist Children’s Home, Children’s Cancer Center, poverty workers , homeless mothers, etc. – and some to a ‘Shoe Box’ operation that includes them in packages to our military personnel overseas for local children – hopefully making a friend out ...
Finished this project. You can see more pictures in my projects gallery. Here are some I didn’t upload over there.
This is the machine I used to build, ‘Toy Crane’; they’re phenomenal machines. I cut circles and everything else on it. It was the first time I ever used one; in fact ever saw one. That veneer is hard to work without machines made for maching it that have small advance scoring saws; it tears right off of the core. It’s best to score it with a utility knife and use masking tape to prevent tear out.The patterns were covered with a perimeter of elastomer and an ejector created a partia...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries