I’m starting to get close to completion. I got the base finished and made a few adjustments to the mechanism. I got the hat on the cowboy, which is an interesting little process. You basically take your beautifully carved little head and slice the top off with a bandsaw! A disc sander then helps you get it nice and flat to fit in a recess carved in the bottom of the brim, which is separate from the crown of the hat. You might be able to make out the buttons and end of the belt that ...
We got a little snow in Arkansas today, so I finally had an opportunity to get a bit more done. He does look better with a tail, just like a few of you suggested! I was able to use an 1/8” dowel for joining it to the body and I feel better about it being more solid. Rather than just butting it together with the dowel as a tenon of sorts, I outlined the base of the tail on the rump and then carved a hole for it to fit into. A little carving and sanding after the glue dried made this ...
Finished the simple details on the saddle and have the horn stuck in place temporarily. It may need to be cut down a bit more. I would normally do the stirrups, but you can’t see many saddle details when the rider is mounted. I used a stoning technique on the cowboy’s chaps to try and give the effect of angora or goat-skin chaps….may need to do it a bit heavier. “Stoning” is a process of using a dremel or other rotary tool with an abrasive wheel or cyl...
This is a pretty straight-forward box for my niece to carry her Barbies in. The pics here are of one half of the box. I inserted melamine for walls so there will be a total of 4 “rooms” for her Barbies. My wife is going to paint and decorate each room. We were on a budget on this one, otherwise I would’ve used a bit thinner stock (to reduce the weight). Fairly rudimentary for some of you true “jocks” but hey… I’m learning as I go. Will post more...
He’s starting to look like a horse now, with the muscle groups indicated. I spent quite a bit of time getting the spacing better between the legs and defining the groups of muscles around the legs. A technique I like is to carve the lines and then to sand them so that you get a flowing muscle look instead of something defined by a line cut into the surface. I like to use my veiners for this and then carve or sand the edges back up to the center. Here are a few pictures. When ...
Greeting All, Well Week 3 did not go entirely as planned. My daughter and I only got one of the 6 trucks completely finished. We did glue up the basics to all six and also got almost done with a moving van which will be going to someone hopefully get it finished this week as next week is a majorly hectic. As you can see from the pics we got the firetruck completely finished, this was a request from my nephew so he will be getting it for his birthday in a few weeks. Sophia helped with j...
Well It is Sunday night again and my 2nd week has come to an end. This week my completed projects were actually done at work. I am working on organizing the office and cleaning up some clutter. I decided to remove some old tables from a small area next to our staff table (for lack of a better term) and install a small laptop desk so it can be closer to me and the filing cabinet. Here is what I came up with.. The desktop is mdf and the support system is 2×3 lumber. I of course used...
It looks like more grandpa woodwork coming this weekend. When I made these swords: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/23703 , the bridal joint at the top of one was a bit loose. I thought it was good enough the glue would hold it. Without a good solid joint, it broke at the hilt. Lesson learned by novice WW ;-)
Well I have decided to challenge myself this year in order to work at my woodworking more and get my shop in order.. yeah, yeah I know I was suppose to be doing that as part of ShopQuest 2010. But, really I am going to do this this year, and to keep me on track I have decided to post a blog each week in order keep motivated. Some of the blogs may be posted as projects but more then likely not all of them. I have a few shop ideas I am planning to work on including a parts storage cabinet and a...
Ok, it’s Saturday, and my son, who is eight (8) years old, is riding with me in the “Ole-Girl” pickup truck (1972 GMC Sierra) as we travel together on the way to somewhere. He is talking pretty much non-stop, excitedly going through his backpack showing me all of his Hot Wheel cars, and commenting on them, telling me how fast each will go, and which one is his “favorite one”. He has a lot of “favorites”, and I enjoy listening to him talk and how h...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1795 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1820 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries