I wanted a chair for my daughter’s cubby house and was looking to buy something 2nd hand. I came across a chunky pine post in my back shed and inspiration struck. I decided I could make a chest that could provide some storage for toys and double as a bench seat – I also wanted to get my head around this mortise and tenon business. I marked everything out and cut all of my tenons then cleaned them up with chisels. All hand tools so far, by necessity. I marked each ...
I bought this off of ebay this week. It was listed as a small plane, but it looks like a toy, model or perhaps some form of box. I would not see a purpose for the lid if it was a toy or model. I bought it because it was unusual. It has a hinged lid. The blade and wedge appear to be decorative. The patina appears to be real indicating it is quite old. The horn has tool marks which to me indicate it was carved. Here is a view inside. The hole appears hand cut with tool marks evide...
Had I not been laying in bed in pain from overdoing it yesterday at my home construction site on what had already started as a high pain day, I would have been much more excited when Woodcraft called to tell me my saw had arrived. I got a log cabin kit delivered out at my property yesterday. Center-cut oak beams with dovetailed corners to build my new house, but that’s a whole other story. Anyhow, I finally got to go pick up my saw when my friend who’s carrying the loan got off...
I have decided to build a model equipment trailer for my Father In-law. He is always such a great help for me around the house with projects and I wanted to make something for him to show my thanks. Since he has a small excavation contracting business so I thought some wood models would be nice. I found the plans by D.B. Gatto and decided on the flatbed trailer and backhoe. I have started the trailer and hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks and then move on to the backhoe. The plan i...
I finally finished the paint and assembly and here is the completed piece! I’m really pleased with the over all look of the piece and how it turned out, although I might make some changes in future mechanisms. The action is pretty realistic and I learned the true meaning of being “glued to the saddle”.....this cowboy would always get bucked off until the application of some glue to the seat of his pants. Here are a few pictures and a link to the video. I really appreciat...
This maze will drive people nuts! I built this project based on a plan in a book called Zany Wooden Toys That Whiz, Spin, Pop, and Fly. I was thrilled when the author, Bob Glisdorf granted me permission to make a video using one of his designs. Check out the book. It’s really cool. Read more about this project and Bob's book here.
Quick project last weekend: finished hours before the house flooded and my home shop became closed until further notice. I’ve got the birch sitting around, so Ill probably build two or three more. The diameter on these drums isn’t exactly right for its height & I want to make a tin drumhead rather than stretched poster-paper. The mallet came out well though – if I ever make a xylophone or something, I’ll use the method I used here. —WW
I’m starting to get close to completion. I got the base finished and made a few adjustments to the mechanism. I got the hat on the cowboy, which is an interesting little process. You basically take your beautifully carved little head and slice the top off with a bandsaw! A disc sander then helps you get it nice and flat to fit in a recess carved in the bottom of the brim, which is separate from the crown of the hat. You might be able to make out the buttons and end of the belt that ...
We got a little snow in Arkansas today, so I finally had an opportunity to get a bit more done. He does look better with a tail, just like a few of you suggested! I was able to use an 1/8” dowel for joining it to the body and I feel better about it being more solid. Rather than just butting it together with the dowel as a tenon of sorts, I outlined the base of the tail on the rump and then carved a hole for it to fit into. A little carving and sanding after the glue dried made this ...
Finished the simple details on the saddle and have the horn stuck in place temporarily. It may need to be cut down a bit more. I would normally do the stirrups, but you can’t see many saddle details when the rider is mounted. I used a stoning technique on the cowboy’s chaps to try and give the effect of angora or goat-skin chaps….may need to do it a bit heavier. “Stoning” is a process of using a dremel or other rotary tool with an abrasive wheel or cyl...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 215 entries
- stefang - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 209 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries