I have decided to build a model equipment trailer for my Father In-law. He is always such a great help for me around the house with projects and I wanted to make something for him to show my thanks. Since he has a small excavation contracting business so I thought some wood models would be nice. I found the plans by D.B. Gatto and decided on the flatbed trailer and backhoe. I have started the trailer and hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks and then move on to the backhoe. The plan i...
I finally finished the paint and assembly and here is the completed piece! I’m really pleased with the over all look of the piece and how it turned out, although I might make some changes in future mechanisms. The action is pretty realistic and I learned the true meaning of being “glued to the saddle”.....this cowboy would always get bucked off until the application of some glue to the seat of his pants. Here are a few pictures and a link to the video. I really appreciat...
This maze will drive people nuts! I built this project based on a plan in a book called Zany Wooden Toys That Whiz, Spin, Pop, and Fly. I was thrilled when the author, Bob Glisdorf granted me permission to make a video using one of his designs. Check out the book. It’s really cool. Read more about this project and Bob's book here.
Quick project last weekend: finished hours before the house flooded and my home shop became closed until further notice. I’ve got the birch sitting around, so Ill probably build two or three more. The diameter on these drums isn’t exactly right for its height & I want to make a tin drumhead rather than stretched poster-paper. The mallet came out well though – if I ever make a xylophone or something, I’ll use the method I used here. —WW
I’m starting to get close to completion. I got the base finished and made a few adjustments to the mechanism. I got the hat on the cowboy, which is an interesting little process. You basically take your beautifully carved little head and slice the top off with a bandsaw! A disc sander then helps you get it nice and flat to fit in a recess carved in the bottom of the brim, which is separate from the crown of the hat. You might be able to make out the buttons and end of the belt that ...
We got a little snow in Arkansas today, so I finally had an opportunity to get a bit more done. He does look better with a tail, just like a few of you suggested! I was able to use an 1/8” dowel for joining it to the body and I feel better about it being more solid. Rather than just butting it together with the dowel as a tenon of sorts, I outlined the base of the tail on the rump and then carved a hole for it to fit into. A little carving and sanding after the glue dried made this ...
Finished the simple details on the saddle and have the horn stuck in place temporarily. It may need to be cut down a bit more. I would normally do the stirrups, but you can’t see many saddle details when the rider is mounted. I used a stoning technique on the cowboy’s chaps to try and give the effect of angora or goat-skin chaps….may need to do it a bit heavier. “Stoning” is a process of using a dremel or other rotary tool with an abrasive wheel or cyl...
This is a pretty straight-forward box for my niece to carry her Barbies in. The pics here are of one half of the box. I inserted melamine for walls so there will be a total of 4 “rooms” for her Barbies. My wife is going to paint and decorate each room. We were on a budget on this one, otherwise I would’ve used a bit thinner stock (to reduce the weight). Fairly rudimentary for some of you true “jocks” but hey… I’m learning as I go. Will post more...
He’s starting to look like a horse now, with the muscle groups indicated. I spent quite a bit of time getting the spacing better between the legs and defining the groups of muscles around the legs. A technique I like is to carve the lines and then to sand them so that you get a flowing muscle look instead of something defined by a line cut into the surface. I like to use my veiners for this and then carve or sand the edges back up to the center. Here are a few pictures. When ...
Greeting All, Well Week 3 did not go entirely as planned. My daughter and I only got one of the 6 trucks completely finished. We did glue up the basics to all six and also got almost done with a moving van which will be going to someone hopefully get it finished this week as next week is a majorly hectic. As you can see from the pics we got the firetruck completely finished, this was a request from my nephew so he will be getting it for his birthday in a few weeks. Sophia helped with j...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1389 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1413 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 182 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- stefang - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries