Well, the parts are just about ready for assembly. One cannot believe how many little things have to be done on a project like this, whether it’s drilling one more little hole, or having to figure a way to attach the bottom of the base so that it can be removed. The photo above shows the assembled gear block and a shaft for the crank. The photo below shows the gear block on its side so you can see how the head shaft is hollow to allow the string to run up to the head from a w...
I need to go out for a small part, but as I set my safety gear on the table I noticed the nice hodge-podge of parts from this project. The only camera I had at the moment is my phone, so apologies for the picture quality. Yesterday I found exactly what I needed for the hollow, rotating shaft which will turn Cranky’s head. I was thinking I needed a plastic tube of 1/2 inch diameter. The plumbing department didn’t have it. Even the metal tubes they sell to hook up faucets ...
Been trying to think of an easy way to drill a pretty large hole down the length of a 3 inch dowel. While walking past my dowel storage space I spotted a length of bamboo I had left over from an attempt at making a recorder. Bamboo is hollow and thus does not need drilling! But alas, This piece of bamboo is a bit large. I need a piece with an outer diameter no bigger than 3/4 inches. I went out to the two places close by where I had previously seen bamboo for sale cheap. Neither p...
The head of the crane must spin 360 degrees as controlled by a crank handle on one side of the base. Since the rotary motion of the crank is 90 degrees off from that of the head, I needed to figure out a way to change the direction of this motion, preferably something home made, not purchased. (Though if something had been readily available, cheap and better, I would have put out the money.) Using my smallest hole saw, I cut a few wheels from a piece of 3/8 in. hardwood. My first idea was...
I grabbed a piece of my valuable and ever decreasing drawer wood because it’s only 3/8 inches thick. I drew the base on the wood using a sliding bevel set to the angle indicated on my drawing. It doesn’t look right—too slim, so I adjusted the angle a bit. Looks much better just by adding 1/2 inch to the base. Using my panel cutting sled to cut the one side. The thought occurs to me that I’ll be able to make all 4 sides the same by cutting them using my first side...
Many moons ago, when my daughter was younger we chose not to buy a Cranky the Crane character for her wooden Thomas the Tank Engine set. We did get her the cargo crane, which kept her happy for many years. About a month ago I was asked by my daughter if I could build a Cranky the Crane if I saw a picture of it. I thought about it for a minute and said that I could definitely build something very much like it. (I should mention that she’s now 14 and wants Cranky as a prop for making h...
No job should be this much fun. I know I have said it before, and that some of you may think that I am exaggerating, but I find if anything, I tone it down. This past week and a half should be proof of that. In the last week and a half, I drew up seven new candle trays as well as a new project for the August issue of Creative Woodworks and Crafts magazine and pretty much got all the prototypes finished. I still have one more tray that I didn’t even really show you yet, but I wil...
This is such a busy time for me, as I have project going in many directions. The days just fly by and neither Keith or I can believe how quickly time is passing. It is Friday already and another week is coming to a close. While I did accomplish a great deal, I still have a bit more to do to button up these projects. We also have a wholesale order to fill, as the Artist’s Club accepted the painted version of the mask ornaments that I designed a couple of months ago (that seems lik...
http://youtu.be/GXE0gJNxuWsBuilding a toy tool shed for my grandson’s toy tractors.
A year or so ago I wrote about “Tops”, describing how simple, small, hand-spun tops can be easily made using 1-1/2” diameter wooden wheels and 2” lengths of ¼” dowels (sharpened on one end and chamfered on the other). The tops I made for our toy drive last year and the first fifty or so I made this year, were decorated by applying rings of marker colors to tops spun in a drill..The easiest way to sharpen and chamfer the axle before inserting into the wheel, is to lightly grip it in a drill c...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries