The spitfire and mustang are almost there. I have painted the base and planes waiting for it to dry to put the P51 and SPITFIRE on the bases. Then clear coat each. They are both out of pine as well as the base. I still need to work on my propellers something fierce, otherwise I am somewhat happy with this. Oddly enough like the first planes which were requested by my father these were requested by my Aunt or Aunt inn law as it is. I know they are hinky but they apparently like them. I...
This is a side view of the center section of the front entrance showing how this part of the model will slide out with the cabinet. The sides of the model shown will be made out of glass laminated with a transparent stone pattern. The roof will also be made out of glass. All the parts on this model are designed for cutting out of various hardwoods. This shows oak and walnut used for the rail and first level ceiling. Roof truss, beams, and upper walkways will be mad...
So my wife has made a couple comments that the girls at work saw my planes I have made in the past and they liked them. Leading to her thinking I should make some more. I honestly had stopped because as I have mentioned in previous bloggs they were for my dad who for some odd reason requested them. Anyway this got me thinking which if any of you are like me and build a project in your head several hundred times before even picking out the lumber, you know that is bad mo jo. Bu...
Yesterday seemed to pass by like a blur. While it was only Wednesday, it seemed like a weekend day and I was truly busy from the moment I awoke until after midnight when I finally turned in for the evening. Among other things, we spent the afternoon and evening out at the summer camp home of our friends from Digby. (Bernie and Ellen) We had been trying to plan our annual birthday dinner for both Ellen and me since mid-August, but one thing after another came up and we finally had a place...
Cranky is now ready for paint and the final decorations. The plan is to paint him primer gray overall. The control knobs will be red, and the crane boom will be black. The head will be finished by the addition of decals which I will make in AutoCAD and apply via decoupage. His face will be a slightly altered picture from Google, again applied through decoupage. The decorative elements of the base will be added through wood strips painted black. Mechanically he functions well, but I’...
Well, the parts are just about ready for assembly. One cannot believe how many little things have to be done on a project like this, whether it’s drilling one more little hole, or having to figure a way to attach the bottom of the base so that it can be removed. The photo above shows the assembled gear block and a shaft for the crank. The photo below shows the gear block on its side so you can see how the head shaft is hollow to allow the string to run up to the head from a w...
I need to go out for a small part, but as I set my safety gear on the table I noticed the nice hodge-podge of parts from this project. The only camera I had at the moment is my phone, so apologies for the picture quality. Yesterday I found exactly what I needed for the hollow, rotating shaft which will turn Cranky’s head. I was thinking I needed a plastic tube of 1/2 inch diameter. The plumbing department didn’t have it. Even the metal tubes they sell to hook up faucets ...
Been trying to think of an easy way to drill a pretty large hole down the length of a 3 inch dowel. While walking past my dowel storage space I spotted a length of bamboo I had left over from an attempt at making a recorder. Bamboo is hollow and thus does not need drilling! But alas, This piece of bamboo is a bit large. I need a piece with an outer diameter no bigger than 3/4 inches. I went out to the two places close by where I had previously seen bamboo for sale cheap. Neither p...
The head of the crane must spin 360 degrees as controlled by a crank handle on one side of the base. Since the rotary motion of the crank is 90 degrees off from that of the head, I needed to figure out a way to change the direction of this motion, preferably something home made, not purchased. (Though if something had been readily available, cheap and better, I would have put out the money.) Using my smallest hole saw, I cut a few wheels from a piece of 3/8 in. hardwood. My first idea was...
I grabbed a piece of my valuable and ever decreasing drawer wood because it’s only 3/8 inches thick. I drew the base on the wood using a sliding bevel set to the angle indicated on my drawing. It doesn’t look right—too slim, so I adjusted the angle a bit. Looks much better just by adding 1/2 inch to the base. Using my panel cutting sled to cut the one side. The thought occurs to me that I’ll be able to make all 4 sides the same by cutting them using my first side...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1482 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1506 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 203 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries