Recently I decided that my existing miter saw station wasn’t ideal. It is a mobile station and is fairly stable given that it is light and easy to move. But, in truth I rarely, if ever, move it. So, the fact that it is mobile has meant very little. What has mattered is that it is small, too small. Cutting long pieces on it can be a bit of a headache. This was enough of a push to start a new project. Looking around I have found plenty of inspiration. Using this I came up with a few de...
The Assembly Table has been in great use for the last months. It’s awesome to have a perfectly flat reference surface on which to assemble projects. However, one problem I’ve had since I replaced the top is the front vice. My old top was 1.5” thick and the front vice was level with the top. The new torsion box top is thicker (about 4”) and so the top of the vice sits about 2” below the table top. That makes it near impossible to clamp many things an...
I am really happy with the way things have come together on my latest project, The table saw island. Today I got the torsion box structure in place. After taking these pictures I cut the top of the torsion box, but it needs to be trimmed some more to fit right. I made an attempt to cut it out and put it in place but ran out of time for tonight, left there at 8:45 and it’s a 45min drive home. In one of the pictures you will see what I came up with for the dust collection to the saw. If...
Well all finished just have to add a few more coats of poly to the mdf I do about 6-8 on the mdf for the extra protection. Anyways here are a few pictures of it completed, i’ll try and get some pics of where it’s new home will be. The sides are walnut lot’s of sap wood, entire boards of it first time using wood like this, red oak doors and drawers.
I’ve completed the torsion box workbench top! I milled the cherry boards using my jointer and planer and finished with a little hand-planing to remove the mill marks. I attached them using screws, keeping them flush with the top surface. Even so, I had to hand plane the cherry top in some places because it was a little higher than the table top. I counter-sunk and counter-bore the screws, leaving a 3/8” diameter hole. I used a plug cutter to create some plugs from birch...
I put on both skins, the hardboard top and even picked out some rough-sawn cherry to finish the project! I created 3/4” plywood squares to just fit inside of the torsion grid. I placed a row of them in line with my front vice in order to have more depth for potential bench dogs (1/2” MDF + 3/4” Plywood). I also attached a double stack (1.5”) to the bottom skin, where the bench vice lag bolts will attach. This should give plenty of support for those pieces. I...
Today I assembled the internal grid and attached one of the skins. I started by taking off the current workbench top, and leveling the top of the base. The top rests on two aprons that run end-to-end; one at the front and one at the back. I used hardwood shims (from a previous project) to adjust 3 of the legs and level the 2 apron pieces both left-to-right and to each other (front to back). I then placed (2) 2×4s, which had been jointed and planed, on top of the aprons, the sam...
Today I manged to cut all the parts for the torsion box assembly table top. I am constructing the internal grid out of 1/2” MDF. The space between grid components is 6.5”. The outside of the grid is constructed from 3/4” MDF and is 6’6” by 3’. The skins are 1/2” MDF and a top of 1/8” hardboard. I started by breaking down the MDF using my Festool TS55. I cut a clean edge, and then measured and cut a spacer stick that would be used for...
I am ready to replace the top of my workbench with a dead-flat Torsion box to ease assembly of future projects. I built my current workbench a couple of years ago from plans from Fine Woodworking. The base is made from laminated plywood and is very solid. I filled the inside of the base with 6 drawers which are full and work well. The top is 2 sheets of 3/4 material that has served its purpose, but is far from flat. Part of the problem (non flatness) also stems from the fact that...
Didn’t get a chance to work on this last night, so I headed home with a purpose tonight. Started by getting everything prepared for cutting the MDF – I’ve read the dust can be nasty so I opened my garage door and put a fan behind me to blow out. I also got some dust masks out, unfortunately not the best but I figured better than nothing, and with the fan blowing the dust away from me I thought it’d be sufficient for now. I propped up the off-cut side so it wouldn&...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries