Having a good workbench is a luxury beyond hope for my shop. It’s a 20×28 floorplan, but its full of machines and I have to garage our car every night. What to do? I needed something strong and stable, good and flat, but something I could get out of the way after a day’s work. It also needed to be light enough for me to handle. 50 years ago I wouldn’t have much trouble with heavy parts, but now, its definitely an issue. After quite a lot of modeling in SketchUp...
After my slight diversion into metal working, I’m back to working on the wooden parts of the router table… Gluing up this face frame was pretty straight forward, however the frame is made from cherry from my own property, and that’s just plain cool :). Even though it has been air drying for a couple years, I have a feeling it still has a pretty high moisture content (no meter). This piece is quarter sawn and has some real nice ray fleck. Here again I was a...
I’ve completed the torsion box workbench top! I milled the cherry boards using my jointer and planer and finished with a little hand-planing to remove the mill marks. I attached them using screws, keeping them flush with the top surface. Even so, I had to hand plane the cherry top in some places because it was a little higher than the table top. I counter-sunk and counter-bore the screws, leaving a 3/8” diameter hole. I used a plug cutter to create some plugs from birch...
I am ready to replace the top of my workbench with a dead-flat Torsion box to ease assembly of future projects. I built my current workbench a couple of years ago from plans from Fine Woodworking. The base is made from laminated plywood and is very solid. I filled the inside of the base with 6 drawers which are full and work well. The top is 2 sheets of 3/4 material that has served its purpose, but is far from flat. Part of the problem (non flatness) also stems from the fact that...
Today I assembled the internal grid and attached one of the skins. I started by taking off the current workbench top, and leveling the top of the base. The top rests on two aprons that run end-to-end; one at the front and one at the back. I used hardwood shims (from a previous project) to adjust 3 of the legs and level the 2 apron pieces both left-to-right and to each other (front to back). I then placed (2) 2×4s, which had been jointed and planed, on top of the aprons, the sam...
Well I figure I’ll introduce myself by sharing a new series to document my latest project… yet another router table ;). This one is… well, will be, a cross between Norm’s, chazmonro's here at Lumberjocks, and jasnance's over at Flicker. I liked the idea of trying a torsion box. I also like the idea of a vertical drawer to hang wrenches, inserts, and such. Yes I’m a newb (albeit and old newb), so if anyone sees any errors, or has any suggestions I’d apprec...
Well all finished just have to add a few more coats of poly to the mdf I do about 6-8 on the mdf for the extra protection. Anyways here are a few pictures of it completed, i’ll try and get some pics of where it’s new home will be. The sides are walnut lot’s of sap wood, entire boards of it first time using wood like this, red oak doors and drawers.
The Assembly Table has been in great use for the last months. It’s awesome to have a perfectly flat reference surface on which to assemble projects. However, one problem I’ve had since I replaced the top is the front vice. My old top was 1.5” thick and the front vice was level with the top. The new torsion box top is thicker (about 4”) and so the top of the vice sits about 2” below the table top. That makes it near impossible to clamp many things an...
The top of my workbench is a 4” thick torsion box: 3/4” birch plywood panels on either side of a frame of 2.5”x1.5” yellow pine members. When designing the top, these were my primary considerations: I wanted it to be flat and strong, and not too light. I wanted an array of dog holes. I decided that spacing them 6” center-to-center would be good enough for my surface vise. I wanted every dog hole to be in, or backed by, solid wood. That way, even if the h...
Recently I decided that my existing miter saw station wasn’t ideal. It is a mobile station and is fairly stable given that it is light and easy to move. But, in truth I rarely, if ever, move it. So, the fact that it is mobile has meant very little. What has mattered is that it is small, too small. Cutting long pieces on it can be a bit of a headache. This was enough of a push to start a new project. Looking around I have found plenty of inspiration. Using this I came up with a few de...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries