So after much research and debates, I have finally charged the card, and 2 days later the delivery arrived with the new saw in the box (I opted to have it delivered from the store as opposed to pick it up myself – at 450lbs, I simply wouldn’t be able to unload it myself) Delivery from HD was swift and smooth, positive and friendly guy stop at my place saturday morning, and helped me position the box in my garage – I couldn’t be happier (took 5 minutes, 4.5 of those was...
OK. I caved in and bought an Incra Insert for the router table after they posted it back in stock. It’s the 3/8” phenolic plate that is their ‘old’ design. the opening for the router is 3 3/8” as opposed to the new Aluminum plate which are 3 5/8”. also it’s not as mechanical capable as the aluminum plates, but for $35 it’s within my budget. and still a very good plate. what I really like about the Incras is their MagnaLock plate inserts which sn...
I have an update on the bench. The top is completed and I’m nearing the home stretch. I’m already starting to come up with ideas for special uses/jigs for the inserts in the well… I measured and drilled the holes for the end supports of the well and then threaded my pipe stock and checked for level. I also cut the blocks that are moved when you need to adjust the lateral clamps and positioned them above each leg and the center support. I laid in the MDF panels to make sur...
There’s an article, by the well-known Christopher Schwarz, that tells how to make a workbench for about $175.00. I like that idea ;-) He raves about SYP, but … not much of that in my neighborhood, so …. I went with the dimensional Doug Fir, from the Depot. I’m working on the base, right now, but … here’s the top … before being trimmed to length: Got his recommended vise, bench dogs, and Wonder Dog, from Lee Valley. The top will dress ...
A lot got completed today. Actually I got most of it complete minus a few details. First I cut out the sides. I drew a life size version of it on cardboard on the last blog to give me a since of proportion. So today I just transferred the measurements. Instead of just cutting it out with a jig saw, I used a router to get clean and straight lines. I used the jig saw and circular saw for the rough cuts and came back with square jigs, made especially for this project and straight edges. ...
Previously, I had run out of time to complete the tail vise on my workbench: This weekend I finally got the time to remedy that situation. I started off by routing the dog holes in one of the boards, then gluing up the leg vise block. The dog holes are spaced at 3” for versatility. Then I needed to figure out what to remove for the various pieces of the vise hardware. Some time was spent with the adjustable square to figure out the recess locations. Note: the measureme...
Not only do I love maple and walnut, but I think they love each other too. They look so damn good together… they work well together, and they compliment each other beautifully. What more could a couple ask for? Well tonight I managed a wee bit of shop time. Between my 4 hours of sleep last night, being up at 4:15 am, and dealing with a two year old and a four year old that don’t play nearly as nice together as maple and walnut do, it wasn’t much shop time. But it was enou...
I haven’t had much time to work on the bench since I did the glue up of the top, but tonight I finished tuning up my jointer plane which still needed the bottom lapped and the back of the blade lapped and sharpened. Then I tuned up my ugliest #5 which will now be reserved for fore plane duty with it’s sharpened 8” radius camber blade that I did tonight. Then I went work flattening the bottom. It’s not 100% perfect, but it’s 99% which is good enough for me for the...
I mentioned it in the previous post and as I was working on the drawers I had the main carcass take the finish to make use of time. Mahogany much like Oak has large open pores. My finishing goal was more for practice than necessity, but I was aiming for an antique polished look – shiny outside. I knew I would have to fill in those pores if I want an even polished surface. So my plan was to start with a filler coat which I tried to concoct using dewaxed shellac and mahogany sanding sa...
Didn’t have much shoptime lately, which made me try to squeeze every moment I got to try and make the most of it, which lead to rushing, which lead to screw up – but I’ll write more about that in a following installment and leave this one a bit more on the positive side. Last time I ran into the issue of having a not-square top part to work with. I fixed that by routing the edge at a 0.1 degree angle to straighten the front of the slab and make it parallel to the front 2 ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1728 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1753 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries