יום ירושלים First off, thanks to everyone for their encouragement. I really do appreciate it. Note to self: If you think something nice whilst reading someone else’s stuff, tell them—you never know what your comments can generate. I looked at the wood and thought—what the hell? How badly can i f this up (probably more than i can guess, so i am thankful for that blind-spot)? Let’s look at the wood, and forget about getting the bloody things objectively flat; how a...
We’ve been using the new top on top of our old table until I can finish the base. Over the last few months, the top has warped a bit, and was obviously out of alignment with the breadboard ends. While watching an old New Yankee Workshop online, I realized one of the things I did to cause this. I selected the boards for their aesthetic value, trying to match the grain to make it look like one solid piece of wood 38” wide. I neglected to alternate the boards’ growth rings,...
I was able to successfully refinish my boo boos on the breadboard ends. I also sanded the leaves and finished them at the same time. The ends had a bit more stain to start with (from the previous finish), but they both came out looking great. I’m really glad I learned my lesson on shellac. BTW, it did a bit of redistributing of the aniline dye, so I had to quickly blend/tip it before it got tacky. I missed a couple of spots on one leaf but was able to blend it in with the gel stain...
OK. I caved in and bought an Incra Insert for the router table after they posted it back in stock. It’s the 3/8” phenolic plate that is their ‘old’ design. the opening for the router is 3 3/8” as opposed to the new Aluminum plate which are 3 5/8”. also it’s not as mechanical capable as the aluminum plates, but for $35 it’s within my budget. and still a very good plate. what I really like about the Incras is their MagnaLock plate inserts which sn...
So I followed the recipe I synthesized for the pagoda tile frame and applied it to the top and breadboard ends. It turned out amazing! It looks like something right out of an antique store. Here’s the progression:..^ TransTint “Dark Mission Brown” aniline dye in isopropyl alcohol only (with flash on = more red)...^ Same with flash off (see how muddy it looks)..^ One coat of Zinser amber shellac (1 pound cut). Man shellac is a pain to work with. Once you paint it on, th...
So, I decided to go with the Kevin Rodel Taliesin desk design as my table base. This involved a couple of hours of laying out. I had to account for leg room on the overhangs at the ends, I had to account for chair room on the long sides, I wanted 4” x 4” legs to balance the 3 3/4” breadboard ends, decent overhang on the sides, and this all had to miss the crap I’d already glued to the bottom of the table to make the sliders work. Whew! Like I said, it took several ...
and I mean literally – we’ve had a snow storm here, and the garage is covered with more than a foot of snow. It was blazing outside and the high winds were blowing snow all over the place. my garage is unheated, but neither of those stopped me from making the most I could with an open window of time I got this weekend. I caved in, and ordered an Incra router plate for the top when they just posted the phenolic version on sale for $35 (they had a 10% off last week). I really ...
Not much done today, had time to install the casters. had to go the lowes for some lag bolts (5/16) as the casters did not come with it. I found the casters on eBay for a fantastic price. it’s sold by SES Casters which are here in Massachusetts. total price was ~26 including shipping. they may not be red and shiny – but they are soft, heavy duty, and work fantastic! I highly recommend this seller by any means. I installed 2 swivel casters on the front of the table, and 2 non...
If I didn’t pour today, it would be several days until I’d have time to do it, so I slammed a beer and started mixing concrete. This is what I started out with: The BuddyRhodes system is two bags of countertop concrete to one can of dye, so I mixed one bag into two five gallon buckets and poured about one quarter of the dye into each. On the first batch, I put water into the bucket first because it says it’ll keep the dust down. Don’t do it! It’ll star...
After finishing the parts with TransTint #6003 Reddish Brown and three coats of hand-rubbed poly, I was able to glue them up. It went reasonably well. This design doesn’t have a back panel, so it’s easy for it to get out of square. I glued one of the shelves in backwards, but learned my lesson on the second one. After cooking for a couple of hours, they went into the house to get out of the garage. It was now time for me to start working on the concrete tops. My brothe...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1296 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1318 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries