I’m sure there are those of you interested in how much this thing weighs and (more importantly) how much it cost to build. A quick volume estimate puts the total amount of wood at ~5 cubic feet. Considering an average specific gravity of about 0.60 (range for SYP is 0.54 – 0.65, and the hickory is more than that), the weight is: (5 cu. ft.)(62.4 lbs/cu. ft.)(0.60) = 187 lbs So, the wood alone is about 190 lbs. Factor in the weight of the vise hardware and the many metal...
Well I am just about there. I got 1 coat of Watco drying on it right now. I’ll knock down the shine when im done applying. I will probably give the top about 4 coats of butcher block oil when all is said and done as it really seemed to absorb the first coat almost instantly. The metal feet were installed only to allow me to coat the whole unit without getting anymore stains on my shop floor. They will be removed when im done. Check it out All comments are welcomeThanks fo...
This workbench has came a long way. Started off by ripping down 2×8’s for the legs and the stretchers, then hand to mortise out the legs, create half blind dovetails and I’m finally at the top of the bench. In this video I show how I chose to mount the top of the bench so I can keep everything portable. I also cleaned out the shop a bit and placed the bench in its resting spot. Still lots of cleaning to do in the shop, but the bench is ready to go! Check out the video on YouT...
So I began the build with the top, figuring that I could use it to build the base. The wife bought me a Vika for Christmas so it is my temporary work bench (along with my trusty, old, Workmate and saw horses).As you may have seen in my earlier entry, the top was to consist of two, 8 piece laminations. I face planed them with my #7 to ensure good glue up and glued them at the same time as two separate chunks. Here was my first screw-up (should have planed them four square). This was clos...
I moved the lumber outside, rather than clamping on the floor in my lounge, and added my bar clamps as well. Still dry clamping, though:From Roubo SLumberRelocating the work to where it ought to be—the shop! Not sure why the weight of all the clamps hasn’t toppled it. And i even had to position a bar clamp outside the window! From Roubo SLumberMore clamps was a good idea…
I was able to successfully refinish my boo boos on the breadboard ends. I also sanded the leaves and finished them at the same time. The ends had a bit more stain to start with (from the previous finish), but they both came out looking great. I’m really glad I learned my lesson on shellac. BTW, it did a bit of redistributing of the aniline dye, so I had to quickly blend/tip it before it got tacky. I missed a couple of spots on one leaf but was able to blend it in with the gel stain...
I finally had a day off, so I chopped up the messed up lock-mitered legs by setting the blade right up against the fence at a 45 degree angle. I was able to push the legs through with the help of a featherboard to be as safe as possible. I chopped a bit off each side, but I think the next version will be much better, even if they’re up to 1/2” smaller on each face. I started to run the freshly liberated faces through the table saw to reestablish fresh mitered edges to prepare f...
Hey guys, this is going to by my first out of at least three blogs this summer. Me and my dad are building stuff for the house, and I’m here to document it! :) Without further adieu, here’s (part of) what I did with my summer. ———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————— My first blog entry about my summer! How exciting! But…the first one or two will be rather boring, describing the design process and planned construction process and no pictures, ...
So, I decided to go with the Kevin Rodel Taliesin desk design as my table base. This involved a couple of hours of laying out. I had to account for leg room on the overhangs at the ends, I had to account for chair room on the long sides, I wanted 4” x 4” legs to balance the 3 3/4” breadboard ends, decent overhang on the sides, and this all had to miss the crap I’d already glued to the bottom of the table to make the sliders work. Whew! Like I said, it took several ...
A lot got completed today. Actually I got most of it complete minus a few details. First I cut out the sides. I drew a life size version of it on cardboard on the last blog to give me a since of proportion. So today I just transferred the measurements. Instead of just cutting it out with a jig saw, I used a router to get clean and straight lines. I used the jig saw and circular saw for the rough cuts and came back with square jigs, made especially for this project and straight edges. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1184 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1206 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 299 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries