This is a project I started back in September. I would pick at it from time to time in between other projects, and honey-do lists. My garage is 12’ x 20’, so I need to really think about where things go to make everything fit. I really needed a table for my planer and table top router. So, when I saw this project on the Wood website, I had to make it. This rolling cabinet also serves as my out-feed table for my table saw. Rarely do I ever follow plans exactly, and this is no ex...
Not only do I love maple and walnut, but I think they love each other too. They look so damn good together… they work well together, and they compliment each other beautifully. What more could a couple ask for? Well tonight I managed a wee bit of shop time. Between my 4 hours of sleep last night, being up at 4:15 am, and dealing with a two year old and a four year old that don’t play nearly as nice together as maple and walnut do, it wasn’t much shop time. But it was enou...
So I followed the recipe I synthesized for the pagoda tile frame and applied it to the top and breadboard ends. It turned out amazing! It looks like something right out of an antique store. Here’s the progression:..^ TransTint “Dark Mission Brown” aniline dye in isopropyl alcohol only (with flash on = more red)...^ Same with flash off (see how muddy it looks)..^ One coat of Zinser amber shellac (1 pound cut). Man shellac is a pain to work with. Once you paint it on, th...
We’ve been using the new top on top of our old table until I can finish the base. Over the last few months, the top has warped a bit, and was obviously out of alignment with the breadboard ends. While watching an old New Yankee Workshop online, I realized one of the things I did to cause this. I selected the boards for their aesthetic value, trying to match the grain to make it look like one solid piece of wood 38” wide. I neglected to alternate the boards’ growth rings,...
My primary bench (I have a second that has been buried under stuff for years) has been frustrating me for quite a while. The top is composed of 2X6s which means it’s not as flat and level as I’d like. I’d decided a while ago that replacing the top with a double layer of 3/4” plywood would solve the problem. Eventually I’ll replace this with a real woodworking bench, so this is a temporary solution. I’d acquired the plywood several months ago and a cou...
A year or so ago I wrote about “Tops”, describing how simple, small, hand-spun tops can be easily made using 1-1/2” diameter wooden wheels and 2” lengths of ¼” dowels (sharpened on one end and chamfered on the other). The tops I made for our toy drive last year and the first fifty or so I made this year, were decorated by applying rings of marker colors to tops spun in a drill..The easiest way to sharpen and chamfer the axle before inserting into the wheel, is to lightly grip it in a drill c...
This is a very simple to build router table made from half a sheet of 3/4” plywood and a 1/4 sheet of 1/2” plywood.
My Workbench Saga I am a relatively new woodworker. I had grand visions of building furniture when I started on this quest nearly five years ago but all I have managed to actually build are storage sheds, animal shelters, and a couple of amateur shelving units that I am embarrassed to show anyone with real skills. My journey toward building an actual piece of furniture I can be proud of has progressed in fits and starts. I have read countless books, magazines, web articles, and forum posts...
Hi, getting ready for our local The Woodworking Show is Somerset, NJ in February. Our club, the New Jersey Woodturners donate our time to make wooden spinning tops for the Childrens Specialized Hospital of New Jersey. Please stop by our booth and check it out.
Previously, I had run out of time to complete the tail vise on my workbench: This weekend I finally got the time to remedy that situation. I started off by routing the dog holes in one of the boards, then gluing up the leg vise block. The dog holes are spaced at 3” for versatility. Then I needed to figure out what to remove for the various pieces of the vise hardware. Some time was spent with the adjustable square to figure out the recess locations. Note: the measureme...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1294 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1316 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries