Redoing little parts of our house, we decided to do an ebony stained wooden counter top. After removing the counter, the pieces were cut individually. They were all glued on. A 1 1/2”x3/4” piece of pine was nailed to the front edge of the counter to give it a thicker look. Stain was then applied after some sanding and filling in any gaps or holes. When the stain was dried approximately 6 coats of poly were applied and let cured before anything was placed on top. View on YouTube
You can’t appreciate this toy unless you see it in action. I hope the link works. It’s my first ever youtube video and the first video ever shot on my iphone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JclY0Ho9dC8&feature=youtu.be I started tinkering and playing with this idea a couple of years ago and just decided to take it back off the shelf. The kids might not want to put their video games down long enough to try and master this simple toy but I would set the age range from 6 ...
Check out my latest blog post on how to use a feeler gauge to help improve the quality of your furniture, click the link below. http://joshhallfurniture.weebly.com/1/post/2014/04/top-tool-tip-feeler-gauge.html Hope you enjoy Josh Hall
I finally got back into the shop on my bench build. I have been sidelined for awhile with a bum elbow and well snuck down into the shop anyway. Shhhh do not tell my wife. I was going to make the front six inches or so five inches thick and decided to make it all the same at the last minute. So after a table saw mistake of which I am still not sure what I was daydreaming about when it happened, I ended up with my boards thickness planned to a little more than 2 3/4”. I have 1...
This workbench has came a long way. Started off by ripping down 2×8’s for the legs and the stretchers, then hand to mortise out the legs, create half blind dovetails and I’m finally at the top of the bench. In this video I show how I chose to mount the top of the bench so I can keep everything portable. I also cleaned out the shop a bit and placed the bench in its resting spot. Still lots of cleaning to do in the shop, but the bench is ready to go! Check out the video on YouT...
This is a very simple to build router table made from half a sheet of 3/4” plywood and a 1/4 sheet of 1/2” plywood.
So I began the build with the top, figuring that I could use it to build the base. The wife bought me a Vika for Christmas so it is my temporary work bench (along with my trusty, old, Workmate and saw horses).As you may have seen in my earlier entry, the top was to consist of two, 8 piece laminations. I face planed them with my #7 to ensure good glue up and glued them at the same time as two separate chunks. Here was my first screw-up (should have planed them four square). This was clos...
I’m sure there are those of you interested in how much this thing weighs and (more importantly) how much it cost to build. A quick volume estimate puts the total amount of wood at ~5 cubic feet. Considering an average specific gravity of about 0.60 (range for SYP is 0.54 – 0.65, and the hickory is more than that), the weight is: (5 cu. ft.)(62.4 lbs/cu. ft.)(0.60) = 187 lbs So, the wood alone is about 190 lbs. Factor in the weight of the vise hardware and the many metal...
Previously, I had run out of time to complete the tail vise on my workbench: This weekend I finally got the time to remedy that situation. I started off by routing the dog holes in one of the boards, then gluing up the leg vise block. The dog holes are spaced at 3” for versatility. Then I needed to figure out what to remove for the various pieces of the vise hardware. Some time was spent with the adjustable square to figure out the recess locations. Note: the measureme...
I finally got some shop time this weekend and had a chance to complete my leg vise. After my last building session, I had left it basically functional, but lacking a couple bells and whistles to make it really nice. The first addition was a guide wheel on the underside of the parallel guide. I bought another plastic wheel from Woodcraft and mounted it below the guide. It looks like it could become an ankle biter, but I haven’t run into any problems yet. It’s only pock...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries