Pictures of my tool chest build.
Here’s what I’ve had: The vertical saw till needed flush ring pulls, and those finally came in this week. Tonight was install time. First to practice on pine. Traced it with a knife, chisel’d (carefully) and drilled and got the fit right. Lots of chiseling ahead on a much narrower piece of walnut. Removed the saws and square from the till and set it up on the bench for work. Chisel’d out the square, marked for the deep, recessed cut ...
Not trying to convince anyone of anything here, but if you’ve read the series y’all know that I chose to install a sliding ledge in rehab’d tool chest as shown in an old chest drawing. I did it because when I first saw it I thought it was cool, and thought it was there to protect the bottom compartment from dust / debris when the lid was open. Got it built and realized a couple of things: - It was, in fact, quite cool looking- It highlighted the large dead space in front of the...
Okay, we started here when the evening’s activites went down: Tills were assembled and trimmed up earlier this morning and I was excited to add hardware and apply a finish. So tonight I started by adding a little beading detail using my Stanley #66 beading plane. Once the top edge of each ‘drawer front’ was beaded, it was time to add the ring pulls I had purchased many months ago… I only took a picture of the hole drilling though, sorry… ...
Left off last time looking like this: After pulling clamps and doing some trim work first at the bench… And then at the chest with the Stanley #278 in chisel plane mode… The chest is now looking like this: Tills are marked for pulls, then I’ll add finish and it’ll be reveal time… Until then, thanks for following along!
Started the day’s activity concentrating effort on the sliding shelf that will separate the till section from the undivided bottom well of the chest. Glue scraping with the #82, then a check for flat with the winding stick. One isolated area of glue residue I can’t get to. If it were tear-out, I’d have an issue. This ain’t that, but it still bugs me. So the bedrock #4C gives way to the #2. Took the glued-up, cleaned up panel over to the chest and ...
So, The Outside of the Chest looks reasonably authentic now, and features a lid that keeps dust and other detritus away from the rust-prone surfaces of tools within. But after a spring and summer to-do list filled with roofing, siding and other outdoor remediations, there has been no time for tool chests and the like. Until this week, when I starting clearing clutter with my Friendly Confines (Shop) and setting items inside the Chest. Can’t add more without stacking, and IR...
Posted a ‘Shop Notes’ entry some time ago to talk about a big ‘ole pine dovetailed box I bought at a local auction. Not absolutely certain it was ever a tool chest, but I won’t rule it out either. Some points to consider on the tool chest vs. plain box discussion: - There’s no evidence it ever had sliding trays or inserts. Not that they’re required, I suppose, but modern authors suggest that’s the historical norm. Maybe the builder wasn’t norm. - No mortise lock, only a ring for ...
Bought this at Auction over the weekend, mostly to keep it out of the hands of an antique dealer. Nails at the hinges are the oldest I’ve ever seen – clinched and appear to be hand forged. Handles outstanding, also clinched. Plane tracks visible inside and out. But, no lid. There are a few round (modern) nails driven in at the corners that I’ll remove, and there are four more driven across the dovetails halfway up each corner (one visible in the pic) that would requir...
... THANK YOU to http://lumberjocks.com/VillageCarpenter – I have driven by the Cloisters a million times, but until I read about it in her blog, I never considered going. workbench in the workshop from the Ephrata Cloister. (pictures go here – but no joy in posting flickr pics, please click the link below) The English Style workbench had no stretchers across the front or back – but on closer inspection, I think I found the mortises where they once were. It̵...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1268 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1290 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 371 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 312 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 162 entries
- stefang - 149 entries