A while back, I posted my sliding crosscut sled, but then I later built another sled that slid over both sides of the blade. The original sled was just to the left of the blade and left a cutoff piece to dance around and connect with the blade a few times. I found the perfect use for the old one sided sled at the band saw. I had to make a new runner, but the old one popped off easy enough. I cut it down to 12” wide and moved the end clamp closer to the left so it would not be off bal...
The router lift is finished. I used plans from John Heisz and they are just superb. The plans include detail drawings with dimensions for each part, good explanations for the assembly and a Sketchup file that allows you to explore the design and see how everything works together. The completed lift works very smoothly – I can’t wait to put it to use. First, some pictures of the lift before installation. It’s just sitting on top of my current router table. ...
For the last few years I’ve desperately needed a new bandsaw; I’ve been using a $79 Lowes off-brand 9” bandsaw. As you can imagine that little thing has left A LOT to be desired… that little thing can’t handle anything harder than pine! Beyond my desire to build specific projects, I’ve really wanted to start resawing logs into boards to save on lumber costs where ever possible. Having decided that I needed to upgrade, I started doing my research I firs...
This was supposed to be part #2 but it’s #1. See #2 for the back story on my router table. The first improvement to my router table was the fence. I have a bunch of mdf that’s been in the shop for years so that’s what I used. I know, not the best material for a project like this. But, my fence was a hodgepodge of ideas and I built it with no plans and just guessed at the measurements. IF it doesn’t hold up at least I’ll have a better idea of what I’...
Dang, I have parts 1 and 2 reversed in the blog. Sorry, but this was my first time trying to use the blog. I’ve been cleaning, reorganizing and rearranging my shop lately. The latest task has been to update my router table. I thought I’d start this blog with what I’ve been using. This was built approximately 9 years ago and has served reasonably well. I had acquired several metal cabinets from a copy machine company and started with one of those. I mounted it ...
Just some photos I took tonight that I thought I would share so you could see some of the braces from the previous blog post side by side. 12” Lion and 12” North Bros 2100 Yankee 12” Yankee and 12” Millers Falls 731 Holdall 12” Lion and 12” Holdall 10” Yankee 2101 and 10” Goodell Pratt 2510 Millers Falls Lion Chuck and a no name, typical brace Chuck 12” Lion and 12” Yankee Chucks 12” Yankee and 12” H...
Thought I would share the list of bit braces that I am tracking. The list has been compiled from a variety of sources on the web. If you have suggestions of high quality braces that are not on the list, please let me know. North Brothers Yankee braces, including the 2100, 2100A, 2101, and 2101A series. 8”, 10”, 12”. 14”. Example of 6” versions are rare but known. Whimble braces exist. North Brothers are better Quality than Stanley. North Brothers was acqu...
I’m looking to make a replacement blade for a hollow auger. I know the blade is one inch wide. I do not know thickness or length as the auger has not arrived yet. If anyone has one of these hollow augers, could they post a photo of the blade? Also, I would be interested to know if anyone knows of a source for these blades. I am assuming one will have to be made but it does not hurt to ask. Example of what the blade looks like.
Collecting this information from a variety of web resources. Please watch the type of thread as well. Record Here are the sizes from Recordcollector’s site: Cap Iron screw : 5/16” 18tpi BSW (I believe this is the only standard BSW thread on bench planes)Frog screws : 7/32” 20tpi Whitworth;Tote & Knob bolts : 7/32” 20tpi Whitworth;Tote Toe screw : 7/32” 20tpi Whitworth;Frog Adjusting Plate screw : 7/32” 24tpi Whitworth;Frog Adjusting screw : 1/...
I have wanted one of these for quite a while and last week the gods of eBay smiled upon me. The beader is essentially a mass produced scratch stock that puts profiles on wood. Stanley made them from 1886 to 1941. Because this one is jappaned, it was made before 1898. Handplane Central has some information here. When shopping for them you want to look for one that preferably has its fence and set of 9 cutters. You can also make your own cutters with custom profiles. Both Lee Valle...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1369 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1392 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries