After seeing shipwright’s nifty wooden box hinge technique , I knew I had to try it myself. I’m not sure if it’s been attempted on this large a scale, but I’m happy with how it came out. The only change I made to the original technique was putting the grooves on the face of the board instead of the edge, that way the somewhat-unsightly filled groove would be hidden from view on the outside of the tool chest. Here is the initial setup with the grooves still open: ...
One of the bookmatched side panels of the chest had a large knothole that needed filling. I’ve seen lots of neat stone inlay here on lumberjocks and wanted to give it a try. My Dad found some crushed turquoise and fancy epoxy at a jewelry supply store, and I bought some bigger pieces at a local gem and mineral show. After testing the technique on some scrap, I epoxied the turquoise pieces into the knothole: I tried to place in big pieces first, then fill the rest of the gap wi...
I wanted this toolchest to be fairly traditional, so I worked on the setup for wooden runners early in the build. I used a 1/2” router bit to make dados that run most of the length of the side panels, stopping 3/8” shy of the front. This involved very delicate adjustments and stop-block placements: The dados will give extra support for the runners, and make them easier to position. I also routed a sliding dovetail for a horizontal divider, and a normal dado for the plywo...
Right Click to DownloadRight Click to Download in HDSubscription Options This one is all about assembly! I receive a lot of requests to include more details on my assembly process. This is a detail that many articles, videos, and DVDs tend to leave out, so hopefully this helps to fill some gaps. Keep in mind that every project will require a different glueup and clamping strategy, and this is just one way to get the job done. Hopefully it will give you some tips and tricks that you can pu...
Right Click to DownloadRight Click to Download in HDSubscription Options As is always the case, my designs tend to change on the fly. And since this was a Guild project, a lot of Guild member input went into the design modifications. So this video begins with a quick screencast showing you some of the changes I made to the tool cabinet since our last presentation. Viva la Sketchup! With the design mostly complete, we can start the construction phase. My goal is to build the project e...
Right Click to DownloadRight Click to Download in HDSubscription Options Every shop needs a tool chest. So I set out to build a beautiful wall-hanging unit made completely from plywood. Plywood is inexpensive, durable, easy to find, and perfect for shop furniture. The first video in the series focuses entirely on the design. Now I’m no George Walker and I would guess that you aren’t either. So how do we “average Joe designers” go about developing a project con...
Well i got a lot done on it today. I got the frame completely glued up and square (or as square as I could get it), and started working on the trim. The chest is made of AC (pine) plywood, and the trim will be oak. Tomorrow hopefully I’ll get through the trim, and then on to the drawers. I’m kind of intimidated by the drawers – have never done them before. You can see in the last picture the look i’m going for. Pine chest, oak trim, pine drawers, oak handles. Th...
Started on this tool chest tonight. Forgot to take pictures of my progress so far, but will tomorrow and will post it. I’m making it out of 1/2” AC Plywood. I wish I would have made it bigger, as the top drawers will be quite small, but I was able to make the entire skeleton (without the drawers) out of 1 4X4 sheet. Didnt want to spend the money on the 2nd sheet so this is why I have made it this size (24WX18HX12D) The bottom two rows of drawers will be plenty big for the ...
Well much progress since I last posted about my tool cabinet. It is just about complete, well as I explained to my wife “it will never be complete until I can’t fit anymore tools in it” All that is left to do is make the drawers, add the bottom shelf, and the inner swinging tool doors like the Fine Woodworking model and then of course the various tool holders for current tools and future ones too! After I last posted I sanded, then sanded, then sanded some more! I progres...
So Thursday morning I finished up with a last coat of paint on the chairs and headed off to get my supplies. I had planned on Birch or Pine but was leaning towards pine as it’s $7 a sheet cheaper and on a budget project like mine every dollar counts! When I got to the store I had changed position and figured I’d use the Birch as I had some left over from another project that I could use for drawers etc. Well there was sadly only one piece of it on the shelf so I resigned myself to...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1366 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1389 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 157 entries