Here’s what I’ve had: The vertical saw till needed flush ring pulls, and those finally came in this week. Tonight was install time. First to practice on pine. Traced it with a knife, chisel’d (carefully) and drilled and got the fit right. Lots of chiseling ahead on a much narrower piece of walnut. Removed the saws and square from the till and set it up on the bench for work. Chisel’d out the square, marked for the deep, recessed cut ...
Had a chest with sliding tills ‘in bottom only…’ So I mounted faces via saw-kerf rabbets… and dovetailed sides to said faces. Glued faces… And now the sides get glued up, one drawer per day. This way I can clamp them up in place so they are ‘set’ where they’ll live. With this box, square is certainly optional… :-) That will get these (sans lid): Into a chest that once lo...
Yeah, if you’re like Andy and had popcorn at the ready for another installment of this series, my bad as it’s gone back to seed while you waited. The chest has been an interim resting place for tools that otherwise were a source of clutter, but the chest itself had precious little work done on it’s behalf for the better part of the the last year. This weekend, that changed. But this reprise from a couple installments ago. I’m here: And I want to get to get he...
Some time ago I picked up this tool chest with the idea of using it in my shop. I put some caster on it and put some tools in it. It never seemed to fit, and I continually had issues with it. One of my biggest complaint was the flat top. It was just to handy to set things on it. I could guarantee the minute I needed something out of it, there would be a freshly finished project, half a dozen hand planes or 200 pounds of crap on top of it, so it just kind of sat not being utilized. A...
I’d like to share these with everyone. I was able to snap some quick pictures today of my great grandfather’s tool chests. Both of these haven’t been touched much in the 50 years since he died, if it all. Judging by the layer of dust on the one with the two saws in the lid, i’d go with “not at all”. He sharpened handsaws in his older age. When he was younger, during the 20’s I believe, he worked at a shipyard in the Hudson Valley and as a house b...
Precious little dialog, and only three pictures, but know that the Chest has not been forgotten. Worked an idea I had for the sliding tills. The #78 (love that plane) created a rabbet on pallet pine That was matched up with a dado’d (and reclaimed) walnut front To create the beginnings of sliding tills for this chest interior. More to come!
Warning: The letter W makes a lot of appearances in this post. If, for some reason you don’t like Ws, then just move along. I knew I wanted to add something decorative to the tool chest and my first thoughts were either a logo of some sort or a fancy word in ancient Greek or Latin (I’m a nerd like that). Since I don’t have a logo yet, I ruled that option out. I came up with a couple of Greek or Latin words that I thought might be neat, but decided that would be too much e...
My goal on the Dutch tool chest was to incorporate a space for two larger saws in the design. Like Chris Schwarz’s Dutch tool chests, I was determined to locate the saws on the lid, yet what I didn’t like about his design was that it required ample space on both sides of the tool chest to pull the saws out. I usually don’t have much space on either side. Here’s his design (and notice that you can’t pull that bottom saw out without running it into that workbench o...
This is where we left off last time—- a basic carcass completed but no tools inside it yet. On a side note, do you prefer to spell it carcass or carcase? I’ve seen it both ways. So now comes the fun part: figuring out how I’m going to fit all these tools into the upper section of tool chest. At this point, I’m not really concerned with my larger hand saws, my specialty planes, mallets etc., but most of the smaller hand tools. It seems like a lot of tools, but if...
I wanted to make the lid a breadboard to keep it nice and flat. I started with two boards of eastern white pine boards which I glued together, then added a stub tenons on each side. And here are the end pieces with the mortises already in place. I cut the mortises on my TS. Glued together: I planed the whole thing flat then squared it up. To square it up, I planed down the protruding breadboard end pieces, then ran the opposite side through the TS. I drilled a 3/8&...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1295 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1317 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries