So I finally finished cleaning up and installing the missing parts for my #45 and couldn’t resist putting it to work. First lets catch up.. Last installment I had finished 1 of 2 rabbets for the top and bottom of the back. I finished up the second one last night. This one didn’t go as smoothly as the last and I really cannot pin point the issue but my #78 just would not cooperate. I ended up chopping the whole thing with a chisel. Remind me not to do that again lol. I...
The glue is dry on the canvas backs for the tambour doors. Pulled them out of the jig yesterday and broke them all free of each other and to my surprise they curl up very nicely! Then I got started on a spot that has cause me some anxiety for some reason… the back of the cabinet.. After weighing the options I have decided on T&G with rabbets on the top and bottom and grooves along the sides with a center “Key Stone” slat with tongues on both sides ...
I was able to squeak in a few hours of shop time today so I finally got back to work on the tool cabinet build. First thing was to plug the back end of the sliding dovetails so i can get the back ready for some T&G slats. With that done I wanted to knock out another part that I had been putting off which was gluing up the canvas onto the tambour doors. I had been putting this off because it required a fixture to be built to hold everything square whi...
I realized yesterday morning that I was getting way ahead of myself trying to make the saw till with the door guides before the case was assembled. I need to know the exact dimensions of the space it will occupy before I build it *doh! So I got re-organized and turned my focus on prepping the panels for assembly. First thing on that list was to knock out the grooves for the sliding dovetailed drawer cubbies. I asked my helper if he wanted to help me out but he was busy chilling on the...
Today started out really productive but life intervened and production tapered off in the after noon so not as far along as I had hoped I would be by this time but might make it up tomorrow. I started the day out with some coffee and a no 3. After both doors worth of slats were flat I got my Grizzly round over plane and spent a leisurely time adding a round over to the face of all the slats lol. Added some painters tape to keep the doors together before glueup com...
Had an unexpected early day at work today (which was nice after nearly 2 weeks of 15+ hour days) so I took advantage of it and started laying out the tool storage preliminary plan. Here is the rough idea.. From the front minus doors.. Behind the plane till and tool storage will be a secondary wall that separates the planes and tools from a pair of saw tills hidden in the back wall. And a quick mock-up to see it in scale.. the saws on the front will be in the back in their ...
Over the last couple of days before and after work I have had an assembly line of sorts going on in the shop for the glue up of the side, top and bottom panels of the cabinet case. I am up to 3 done and one more in clamps as we speak. As each one came out of the clamps and a new one went in I went about cleaning up and flattening the faces with a myriad of hand planes and my scraper. I purposely made each panel slightly oversized just in case I needed to rip a glue joint and re-joi...
I spent the weekend cleaning up the mess left from my workbench build and this evening I got started on the actual building of the cabinet :D I have only managed one panel but really only spent an hour or so working on it. First thing to do was to find just the “right” pieces for the sides. I have become quite smitten with the baby poop green grain patterns in this poplar and decided to showcase this instead of trying to hide it. I grabbed a random assortment from the pi...
This morning before work I finally got a plan together for this cabinet. It hits all the design criteria I had laid out and more so I think it’s a go on the build now. Here is my highly technical “sketch up” of the cabinet :D This is a head on view. The bottom cabinet with drawers on it will reside between the legs and can be un attached and rolled elsewhere in the shop if needed. This will hold mostly consumables (sandpaper, glue up supplies etc) and my sharpen...
Jamies tool cabineta happy monkey in Jamies work shop. As some of you read I spend ten wonderful days in Scotland.Ten days that filled my heart, opened my mind and gave me a deep inner peace.Yes I was with Buddhists, but no, I was not sitting on top of a mountain in Lotus.I was with the most wonderful people, especially Jamie and Shirley who had opened their doors for me.I was meditating and even listening to Zen sounds and smell of heaven.The meditation was done in the morning after break...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1187 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1209 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries