New saw cuts SO very smooth – glue-up quality! I’m very pleased! Gluing the second “handle” to the end. Handles are clamped and waiting for glue to dry. Bottom still has screws in place and will come out tomorrow some time when the glue has dried more. Starting to look really nice! I love this design – traditional Japanese carpenter tool box. Uh oh! I am such a nongerhead! The handle on one end was sticking up just a tad so I went to shave it down a b...
I actually broke down and sharpened the blade on one of my crappy (not the crappiest, next one up) little block planes. Made some shavings. Not exactly the right tool for the job and the blade wasn’t dull anymore, just not as sharp as it needed to be. Resorted to a bit of hand sanding with a block and some 120 grit. Inching my way toward ‘real’ woodworking! I am going to do some square mortise/tenon joints for the ends of the box. This time, I am doing it “rightR...
Another Lumberjocker asked for plans for my One-Handed Clamp (Picture #1). So far as I know this type of specialty clamp was originally devised for building lapstrake boats. In lapstrake boats the laps are clamped together for riveting which requires reaching across the full width of the new plank with the clamp. But this clamp also comes in handy at times for other deep-reaching, and/or one-handed clamping needs. I decided to publish a copy of my patterns here for anyone who needs them. ...
Inspired by this video series on refurbishing a Craftsman Table saw, I found and purchased one. Nelson Studios saw refurb Here it is as I was disassembling it on my pickup. The saw disassembled, so I could move it and start cleaning it up. Next up I will clean, paint and polish the wings. I plan to mask the top surface while I paint the bottom with Rustoleum hammered gray spray paint. Then I will clean the top surface and apply Boeshield T-9 and finish with paste wax.
I built this extended jaws fixture for holding bowls while finishing their bottoms a few months back. It has worked well for me when I had only eight of the tapered holding buttons. The problem was removing the extended jaws and the holding buttons and then screwing the buttons into the proper holes to use the jig with 8” and smaller bowls. To combat this time consuming configuration change picked up more buttons and 6mm mounting screws at Lowes. I can now leave the outer row of but...
When I built the router table as an extension of my table saw I had in mind using it as more than a router station. For starters it allows me to make wider rips on my table saw, but it does a few more things and I’m not done yet. [Above and below] Like others of its brethren, my router station can be used with or without the fence. I have a vacuum port set in the fence as well as one for the cabinet depending on which one I think will work best. [Below] The router is mount...
My pastor had this miter box in his garage. His father owned it originally. Since he has never used it, he offered it to me. Having had one of these on my mind for some time I immediately accepted sight unseen. (Well, truthfully, I knew where it was and sort of what condition the saw was in, but I did not know any of the particulars.) Today I was at the parsonage putting handles on the kitchen cabinets and I was able to take the saw home with me. All these pictures show th...
One of my other hobbies is local railroad history. During the research for my book I was given access to thousands of images from glass plate negatives. Most of these photos were taken for a reason other than inventory of the railroad, usually because of a mishap. Once in a while I have to go back and refer to them. I saw these two and thought others might appreciate seeing an old tool. Railroads typically had workshops for maintenance of equipment, buildings, etc. I don’t know wh...
I am not exactly sure how I pulled this off in 8 days but I have finished up the build portion of the chest and tomorrow will be putting some finish on it. With the speed of the build I didn’t get as many pics as I had hoped but here is a series that picks up where the last entry left off to present. I hope to have this up in the projects section tomorrow sometime :D The lid ended up slightly smaller than the case (I measured once and cut twice so ...
Okay, so I couldn’t leave it alone. Sue me. It all started when I brought down to the dungeon the multi-purpose base I originally made for the router table, then added mounts to for the Delta 36-510 table saw I bought used earlier this year. I decided with a little bit of room to move around down there I would once again see if the arbor bearing was really as bad I as had thought before. For testing I mounted a spare Skilsaw 10” 28T combination blade. I made no adjustments to t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1559 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1584 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries