This is going a lot quicker than the last version. The pin groove went well as did the rounding and bottom groove not a lot to show really. So. So long and thanks for all the fish. The project will be posted shortly Be seeing you.
Its supposed to be a threat, I was never any good at those.- Slartibartfast Well I am. This method is not working. 1. The small (1mm square x 6mm long) piece that retains the hinge pin falls out. Remember I have used CA (superglue) on these. 2. On the ‘grain following’ rear/top hinge 1mm is too thin to hold. I could re-enforce with a 0.5mm piece, cross grained to this but problem 1. still remains. This means the end of this attempt at 3mm thick wooden hin...
Its been a mixed experience, today. Some things went well and others went….......well not so well.It looked incredibly complex to mark up all the little bits to be trimmed off so I went an easier route. The external dimensions of the box (well the first three anyway) are 42mm, cubed.With 3mm thick walls this means the inside width and length are 36mm. So I made up a former block 36mm square by a bit longer and placed it inside the box This holds the box square, allowing (w...
Here we are again. This time its time to cut the fingers on the two remaining pieces, F and B. B the back piece also has the hinge fingers for the lid. Basically offer up the relevant side, in this case Left (already cut) to Front and mark the cutouts with the knife blade. Do this for both sides of Front and Back (plus the top of the back piece) and cut out all the hinge fingers.Use the same method as before for cutting the single walnut piece for both F and B. Then slide the single wa...
Hello again. First thing to do today is mark out all the hinge fingers on L,R and T. Pretty much like this The cutting regime is shown here on T. Left to right. Marked out, Sycamore layer removed, Sapele layer removed When all three fingers are removed the Walnut piece is hinged to this piece with masking tape. Walnut layer lowermost. The knife is used to transfer the outlines to this layer. The Sapele/Sycamore layer is hinged off of this to reveal the outline markings...
Hello again. Now the ‘boards’ you saw in part one were oversize at 45mm wide, purposefully so. Its easier to glue up and cut. There is a small allowance for error, if one piece isn’t square with the next layer. So, first things first, cut out six of each wood 45mm square. I always cut a spare just in case of screw ups. The first shaping work will be done with two layers stuck together Spares to the right. The sycamore is glued to the Sapele with superglu...
To life the Universe and everything. As all you readers of Douglas Adams’ Hitch-Hikers’s Guide to the Galaxy will know. For me it is, as well as that, a quest for yet smaller wooden hinges. Don’t Panic (as the Guide says on it’s cover, in big, friendly, letters) I am prepared to fail on this one. This (lid removed for clarity) is what I am planning to achieve A, cubic, reversible box with sides that are 42mm long and high by 3mm thick (1.65” by just und...
I started this as a forum topic http://lumberjocks.com/topics/22441 but the way it’s going, it should have been a blog so I’m changing horses in mid stream. To bring things up to speed, I started out fooling around with the idea of thin plywood because I was bored in the shop waiting for finish coats to dry on my real project. It sort of took on a life of it’s own. Here’s a brief recap: The first two shots are of a 4” x 8” sheet of 1/16” walnut ...
Back in my computer days thats how we thought the Japanese put their kit together. They used mice with tweezers! Anyway steady hands needed here for the assembly. I had cut four 2mm square Ebony strips for the edging. So here we go. Edge the pieces. Just showing the top here. --Each side piece was edged (one edge only) using the excess from the above. They were all trimmed to size on the disc sander, 180 grit disc. Attach side one to top, other sides ready and waiting. I think they enjoy w...
I lay awake desperately for two hours trying to figure out how I was to cut four sides and a top from this striped cross.--In the end I gave up and went to sleep. My new planer arrived bright and early. My old one had died inexplicably. Damn I thought this is getting me away from the project. I dutifully put it together, tried it out and tidied away the old one all without much enthusiasm. Another trip to the re-cycle centre (used to be called the dump, now re-cycle Nazis quiz you as to wh...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1373 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1396 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries