Finally wrapped this project up, after some setbacks. To correct the angled chop I had to see what was the problem: the hole drilled in the chop or the hole drilled for the coupler buried in the leg? First I tested the hole in the leg: Clearly, the threaded rod exiting the leg is off of perpendicular. Then, before I attacked the solution, I decided to check the chop: Huh. It’s off too! So, after some hand wringing, cussing, and a few beers, I took the case online ...
Good news bad news kind of day. Twice. The first thing that hit me today was that the bare spot I had filed into the threads on the leg vise “screw” (really a 5/8” threaded rod from the Borg) for the first chop won’t work on v2 because the chop is twice as thick. Soooo…half an hour of filing and I had this: Then I started making the garter. First I measured out a 2.5” square of 1/2” oak. Then took it to the drill press and punched ...
Well, after stooping over to cut three of the four dovetail joints for the project I’m working on, I realized two things—-(1) I take a long time to join (I’m averaging about an hour and a half) and (2) that much time stooped over the leg vise is killing my back in the cold (30-40*) garage! So I tooled around the internet looking for solutions to my problem, all the while trying to keep calm, because that ticking clock in the back of my head is getting insistent that I get a...
For the glory shots of the completed leg vise, please click here. Today, I finally can scratch off this component of the bench at last! I came out to shop more confused than ever on how to proceed after ending the session yesterday in frustration. So I turned on the radio and put everything together and watched carefully how the threaded rod affected the garter and tried to catch it. It occurred to me I should try and either (a) make the half threads surrounding the garter grove mor...
For the version with pictures, please click here. I didn’t have much spare time today but what I did have I used to take care of the next couple steps in the leg vise drama. First I removed the threaded rod and hacked off about 6-8” worth from the end. The rod was just about 2” too long to allow the chop to fully close. Then I figured out how to mount a handle. It occurred to me while I was trying to remove the rod from the bench from the test fit. If I could car...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries