The continuation of my Thorsen Hall table. The beginning is here My wife is happy with what is happening so far. I suggested that I try the other Greene and Greene feature that is the breadboard spline a key between the top and the breadboard end. I used a book that I bought on Greene and Greene furniture. The book is called Greene and Greene Design Elements for the Workshop by Darrell Peart published by Linden Publishing 2005. I got a piece of Blackwood 1 ¼” square and 5” long. ...
I’ve waited and waited…I’ve even questioned, Martin and JockMike…and low and behold it has finally arrived! My Popular Woodworking magazine! Now I can proudly display it on the project that I made in order to receive it. Thanks Popular Woodworking and LumberJocks!
Popular Woodworking has announced the winner of the Thorsen Table Challenge. Before we get to that, I want to congratulate all of the winners—everyone who took part in the challenge and enjoyed the process, the laughter, the teasing, and the inspiration that we have shared over the past three months. I would again like to thank Karson and Obi for this great idea. It has really been a lot of fun and we have met many more LumberJocks because of it! Thank you. And now for the ...
With the drawer problem solved it was time to attach the drawer runners to the side aprons, a stop to the back (to keep the drawer from recessing too far into the table), and get the table glued up. A shallow dado on the drawer rides along maple runners attached to the aprons. You can see the dado in this shot of the drawer box. With the assembly dry fit and turned upside down on the bench I placed the runners into the dadoes and lower the drawer between the aprons. To raise the drawe...
I’m catching up on blogging the construction of my Thorsen House side table. The Saturday before the project was due I decided to start the day with the construction of the drawer box. Several years ago I bought a dovetail jig at Rockler, which I’ve never used. I decided that this was the perfect chance to give it a try. I’d pulled it out of the box, affixed it to a clamping board and familiarized myself with it’s part the night before so I was all set to go. ...
I now have a video-cam, so I tried it out with this Video of My Table.This is a first time for me with the new camera, so I hope you’ll enjoy this.
Obi wanted to see the cherry so here it is. I got very little sleep last night not because I was working on the table but simply insomnia. I’ve got a work project that isn’t going well which was part of the reason I think. Anyway because of that I called in (well actually emailed in) that I’d be working from home today. As a result I was able to take some time mid-day and get the first coat of finish on the table. I chose amber shellac to give a little richness ...
As you know this is the last day (in CDT time) to submit your entry into the Thorsen Table Challenge. I’d like to remind you of the proper way to submit the project. The most important thing is to submit your entry as the project and not as the blog entry. Many of you have tracked your progress in the exciting blog series. But at the end you must add your table as the project too (and don’t forget to link back to your blog series from the project story to make it easy for other...
This end result is a nice little side table, but I must confess, it is not up to my standards. It will make a nice table along side the couch. I’m finishing in haste to get the subscription to PW, but I will continue my challenge and improve this table more at a later date. My son (age 3) loves to hang out in the woodshop, so he can help me. Bottom line, the baby girl goes to the doctor on time, I get my challenge finished, and my son gets to help me finish it next week! Legs, si...
I trusted that the bit for my pocket hole jig was correctly set. I was wrong. When I attached the top to the sides and legs, here is the result. I like the way the table looks, but the holes on top are enough to make me pull out my dwindling hairs. As a result, I had to resort to nailing the top to the legs in order to finish the contest and take my little angel to the doctor.UGH! The smaller holes are from the brad nailer.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 230 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries