I’ve just returned to my winter home / shop in Arizona. At home I have all the tools and lots of space but here I have 1/2 a garage and a much smaller budget. That’s no reason not to have all the toys, you just have to be a bit more creative. What I need to go with the chevalet I built here last winter, to pursue marquetry, is a veneer press and a thickness sander. The press can wait until next week but the sander gets built now. Criteria:1) Gotta be cheap2) Gotta be precisi...
Having thoroughly enjoyed making the Little Bess Ring Box, the smallest project I’ve ever made in boxes, I have decided to go to the other end of the scale. I’ve always hankered after a Drum Sander but could never afford the £500+ price tag. I idly tapped ‘drum sander’ into the search box and found that not only was I not alone in not being able to afford one but that there was a solution. Build you own. There are numerous ideas out there but the soundest seems to be ...
This is my first attempt at blogging but I thought people might be interested in the approach I took. Getting hold of consistently dimensioned timber for making boxes has always been a challenge, especially when small thicknesses are required and when the timber is hard to come by (expensive and scarce). I have seen many examples of beautiful boxes here on LJs from makers who have either made their own thickness sanders or have bought commercial equipment. For me, buying a ready made thick...
Why oh why did I wait so long to build this? It has been a joy to have in the shop since I finished it a month or so ago. Here’s the little beauty: Built almost completely with what I had on hand. 2×4 frame, 1/2 hp motor spinning at 1725rpm. 5” MDF disks on a 5/8” cold-rolled axle. No velcro for the sandpaper, just wrapped around the drum. Adjustment is via a piece of 5/16” all-thread I had in the shop. The table is 12” wide with a usable sanding o...
So I started to discover, this thing is heavy, so mobility will be needed. A set of flippable casters were in order. One set on the back was enough. I can easily lift the front and move it around now, when the wheels are down. Lifted up on the wheels here: And flipped so the sander sits flat on the floor here: I also did some musical chairs with electric motors today. My brass wire wheel was on a 1 hp Northern Hydraulics motor. I switched that out for the fine wire w...
After researching many sander designs and knowing my tendency to over engineer everything, there was only one choice for the table adjusting/lifting mechanism.The source of the lift came from this site and I give the author full credit- http://home.mchsi.com/~woodywrkng/DrumSander.html. The only change/addition I made was to add springs the help eliminate any “backlash” in the movement. The author of the site felt this mechanism gave more support over the full width of the table.The arm piece...
Hello All,I am going to start building my own homemade thickness drum sander. I have almost purchased all my parts and will start construction soon. I am documenting this process through pictures and video. It will be a little while before it is finished, but I will have pictures up of the progress, hopefully within a couple weeks!
I’ve decided to build a thickness planer. There are many posted here on LJ’s and I’ve looked at a lot of them. (maybe all, at least all I could find)I’m not far into the build and have a few questions for the guys who have been through this already. --Thank You for all those that posted their builds. The ideas and processes have been very helpful.-- -the drum will be made from 5” maple disk. Total sanding width will be 18” -- -I seen one mo...
After building the drum, a test was in order. After all, if this part didn’t run true there was no sense in moving forward.Using a piece of Corian, the motor and drum were clamped down in position. The motor is a 120v 1/3 HP motor salvaged out of our old furnace. The belt is the one from my table saw- a link belt replaced it. With some anxiousness, power was applied. Holy Cow, It Worked!! The pulley ratio is about 1:1.5- the drum being larger- so the speed of the drum is slightl...
Most of the photos used for this blog were taken “along the way.” As with everything made in my shop, there are always changes, modifications and “S**t! I should have…”. The first thing was when Mimi passed by and said, “it’s nice but where are you going to put it”? Anyone who has been in the shop knows you need a road map and a course in choreography to get around all of the stuff crammed in there. OK, we are gonna need some wheels to move this thing out of the way. ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries