I can’t express how thankful I am for all the help in getting my sander’s conveyor running again. Living in the middle of nowhere, I was unable to find a vendor for the bridge rectifier within an hour of here so I ordered one (actually two) from China for $.99 plus $1.98 shipping. We received them yesterday. My husband soldered one on the circuit board this morning; we reinstalled the speed control; and it runs like new. We’re both do-it-yourselfers who will try anyt...
Drum Sander speed control repair #1: I need help to identify a component on speed control circuit board
My drum sander's conveyor recently quit. We were able (with help) to narrow down the problem to a component on the speed control. My husband said he is willing to attempt to solder on a new component (a new circuit board is over $240) but after considerable web searching, I have been unable to find one. It might help if I knew what it was called so I could more easily narrow the search. Here’s a photo. Can anyone tell me what the square, gray component on the lower left of the ci...
I’ve probably seen every drum sander that’s been built and posted to youtube and other various websites. What I found was that most of them differ in size, design and power. I am starting my project next week. If you’ve built one I would love to hear the dos and don’ts you discovered During gather process of your build. To give you an idea of what on my mind here’s a list of things I’ve thought of. Nothing’s in stone here even though I’ve ...
This is my first attempt at blogging but I thought people might be interested in the approach I took. Getting hold of consistently dimensioned timber for making boxes has always been a challenge, especially when small thicknesses are required and when the timber is hard to come by (expensive and scarce). I have seen many examples of beautiful boxes here on LJs from makers who have either made their own thickness sanders or have bought commercial equipment. For me, buying a ready made thick...
So I started to discover, this thing is heavy, so mobility will be needed. A set of flippable casters were in order. One set on the back was enough. I can easily lift the front and move it around now, when the wheels are down. Lifted up on the wheels here: And flipped so the sander sits flat on the floor here: I also did some musical chairs with electric motors today. My brass wire wheel was on a 1 hp Northern Hydraulics motor. I switched that out for the fine wire w...
I’ve decided to build a thickness planer. There are many posted here on LJ’s and I’ve looked at a lot of them. (maybe all, at least all I could find)I’m not far into the build and have a few questions for the guys who have been through this already. --Thank You for all those that posted their builds. The ideas and processes have been very helpful.-- -the drum will be made from 5” maple disk. Total sanding width will be 18” -- -I seen one mo...
Had a bunch of requests (OK, only two) to see the sander in operation. Here is a very short video of how it works. The sound is natural- the sander and the dust collector in operation. A little over 1/64” of material was being removed. For the astute observer, you will notice the addition of the broom like door sweeps to both sides of the dust hood. It seems to work but I’m not sure how much more effective it is. Also, the addition of the wheels up/down mechanism was compl...
Better add some sort of dust collection to this thing before I do anymore testing!This is what the finished “hood” looks like- Had the ½” plywood from another project. This is just a simple box. I wanted some way to hold it in place and be able to remove it without tools. Made two brackets from 1” aluminum angle “iron” to catch one side and some button magnets for the other side. Dust collection is a 2 ½” angled port that connects into the collection system. The ...
Most of the photos used for this blog were taken “along the way.” As with everything made in my shop, there are always changes, modifications and “S**t! I should have…”. The first thing was when Mimi passed by and said, “it’s nice but where are you going to put it”? Anyone who has been in the shop knows you need a road map and a course in choreography to get around all of the stuff crammed in there. OK, we are gonna need some wheels to move this thing out of the way. ...
It was finally time to add the sand paper to the drum. Having decided on a Velcro (hook and loop) system, it was off to Super Grit http://www.supergrit.com/ . Their store is only a half an hour drive from here. The hook portion required 5 feet of material. This PSA stuff is 4” wide and is $2/foot. Also bought 3 different grits of the 3” wide loop paper. Their minimum purchase is 3 yards but at between $1.50 to $2.00 a yard it is reasonable. It took about 73” to wrap the drum but I think I can...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries