In a recent Blog by Obi, he discussed using a router to cut mortises, and this started up a discussion, in which Don cautioned against getting a Hollow Chisel Mortiser. I think there are good thoughts on both sides of this debate, and I don’t mean to do anything other than offer some more experience about purchasing and using a Mortiser, and other methods of cutting mortises. As in anything, the more money you spend, the better tool you get. If I were buying just what I wanted, not what ...
Hello. I am now working on the base for my workbench. I have changed some of the design details since my first concept, but not by much. The main difference is that the two legs on the Roubo side of the bench have tenons that will go into the bench top. The base was going to attach to the top the way most trestle bases do with bullet dowels, but then I realized that when I use the leg vise, all the pressure will be placed on the dowels! So I redesigned the front legs so that they have a tenon...
I cut the tenons in two parts, as suggested by the popular woodworking video. A. I cut down the lines. I used my dovetail saw, but I am sure there are many ways to do this, say, even with a tenon saw. B. I inserted a pattern bit into my router. I cut and planed down a piece which was the exact width of the tongue. This piece was also just slightly thinner than the depth of the shoulder of the tongue. These dimensions are important for two reasons.1. Getting the tongue right means the...
Hello. I have now finished the mortise and tenons for the base and have them all fit. Here are the two base assemblies put together. The assembly closest to view still needs a thin leg installed on its right side. You can see the tenons on top of each assembly which will be going into mortises in the bench top. Here is a view of the leg assemblies from the Roubo side of the bench, with the front legs that will be flush to the bench top side and the tenons that will be mortised into the ...
I started today by gluing up the top. Doh! #1I decided to use Dominos for the project and did not pick the right size so I cut all the way through the case. Fix. I decided to use through Dominos for the project. Actually the shelves are held in by through Dominos and a false dado I created by layering plywood on the outer pieces. Glue and staples hold the second layer on. Left to right = bottom to top of side Case AssemblyAssembly is a snap with the Dominos. They hold the p...
For all the pictures, please click here. Note: This was supposed to have been posted Saturday the 25th… I wasn’t sure how much time I’d have today to work on the bench so instead of charging ahead with measuring the height of the legs to get ready for installing the top, I decided to do some more mundane tasks. They still are in general preparation for the top, but I just wasn’t planning on doing them first. Before I get going though, I had mentioned yestrday...
The second run of mortises is in the legs. The tenoned rails will surround the juniper panels. Rather than squirt the air after each two holes, I looped a hose clamp around the air gun and trigger and used a nut driver to control it. (Nut driver is resting on the screw for the photo only.) It didn’t take much air to keep the work area clean. It was easier to get a bore – slide – bore – stack flow going when there was no interruption to work the air. The mortis...
Cutting the tenons and fixing the mortises. In an earlier blog I was talking about story sticks and laying out the mortise cuts for the legs. I further stated that in my reply to Bob that: “The rails at the top and bottom have a 1/4” grove cut in them to allow for plywood for the insert. The top rail ended up with a 1/2” cut for the tenons, where it touched the panel, while the bottom one had still the 1/4” cut. Why the difference. ??” Well I found out why the difference. I miscalculate...
cut the tenons oversized, then fit the first half inch or so, then pare back from there. fitting much better than the first two which I tried to cut to exact size. luckily those were the back legs; the front legs fit very nicely she’s coming together! thanks for looking
Ok, here are a couple of more evenings of progress behind me. I need to cut 16 tenons total to fit the head board and foot boards on the two beds. This part of the project is going a little slower than the earlier parts. But I’m having fun on this part so its all good. I first scribed a line all the way around the shoulder with a knife, then cut the v groove to guide my saw. Sawed the shoulder, with my dovetail saw. I tried Paul Sellers advise here and used this saw even though it is a...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries