It just makes me so darn angry. The life I have led has been one of logic. I am the son of a mathematician and much of my adult working years have been spent as an analyst. When I make a dumb mistake it grates on my nerves worse than finger nails on a chalk board. Now I don’t have delusions that I am going to progress in woodworking mistake free. Quite the contrary, I see my mistakes as an opportunity to learn. I have learned a lot. The angst I am feeling come from not only makin...
I was able to plane the stock for the shelves yesterday. I glued up a large enough blank for two shelves, then used the fence to cut them parallel. I then used the cross-cut sled to square the other sides. I got to use my Delta new mortiser to make all of the mortises (3 on each side x 4 sides = 12 total). Luckily, they were all 3/8” and had the same offset from the front/back. This meant that with one setup, I could knock them all out. If I had done them with a chisel, ...
I started by marking out all the cut lines with a marking gauge. I have one of those simple wood pass through another wood with a thumb screw and a little pin, ones… so….I chiseled out the sections in the maple down to the lines after cutting the shoulders with the dovetail saw. I then transfered the tenons to the backside of the zebrawood with the marking gauge again. Then chiseled around the marks and worked on taking out the material with the chisels. A mortiser would be really...
I wish I knew more about mushrooms and toadstools; Inkcaps appear from time to time, and rubbery, orange or brown alien things are there in the short grass some mornings and gone a few days later. Wrens are bobbing about outside the window today looking for insects in the bushes, maybe it’s the “flying school” wrens – they’ll be around all winter as they don’t migrate, and in the spring (RSPB website) the males will build several nests and the female will choose the nest she likes best. “W...
I started today by gluing up the top. Doh! #1I decided to use Dominos for the project and did not pick the right size so I cut all the way through the case. Fix. I decided to use through Dominos for the project. Actually the shelves are held in by through Dominos and a false dado I created by layering plywood on the outer pieces. Glue and staples hold the second layer on. Left to right = bottom to top of side Case AssemblyAssembly is a snap with the Dominos. They hold the p...
Was FINALLY able to get back to the shop after 12-13 days! Got a bit more done on the table: Trimmed tenons to fit mortises for the top: Dry fit the top: Cut, trimmed and mitered the apron tenons for the base: Here’s the base dry fit: And, the almost completed table!
This is a one-handed post tonight; I had a bit of an accident, but I’ll get to that… We’ll keep with the chronology. I was able to get back to work on the table after about ten days away from it. My goals were to taper and mortise the legs and to cut the tenons for all top members. Here’s what I was able to accomplish… Tapers cut on the table saw…very slow going and quite a bit of burning: At the bench – I used the #4 set lightly to get the darkest of the burn marks out, fol...
Cutting the tenons and fixing the mortises. In an earlier blog I was talking about story sticks and laying out the mortise cuts for the legs. I further stated that in my reply to Bob that: “The rails at the top and bottom have a 1/4” grove cut in them to allow for plywood for the insert. The top rail ended up with a 1/2” cut for the tenons, where it touched the panel, while the bottom one had still the 1/4” cut. Why the difference. ??” Well I found out why the difference. I miscalculate...
I am in the process of building a second plant stand (I thought that I would be done today but the Universe had other ideas.) One thing that I am pleased with is the aging of the pine legs. Rick brought home some 1×2 pine which worked great for the legs but they were too white for my willow. So, I used some “greying” stuff that I bought at Home Hardware. (I’ll have to go look at the name of it). It turns wood a natural- weathered look. With just one light coat and an...
I was going to draw bore peg the breadboard to the top today, but I had to do some fixing instead.I made the tenons the same length as the plan showed, they should have been longer, so there wasn’t enough material. I was afraid of the peg holes breaking out. You should have about 3/8”, & I only had 1/4”. To remedy this I epoxied some nails across the ends similar to the torsion bar on a guitar neck . After I was all done I thought I could have glued in a wooden...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries