Ok, here are a couple of more evenings of progress behind me. I need to cut 16 tenons total to fit the head board and foot boards on the two beds. This part of the project is going a little slower than the earlier parts. But I’m having fun on this part so its all good. I first scribed a line all the way around the shoulder with a knife, then cut the v groove to guide my saw. Sawed the shoulder, with my dovetail saw. I tried Paul Sellers advise here and used this saw even though it is a...
Was FINALLY able to get back to the shop after 12-13 days! Got a bit more done on the table: Trimmed tenons to fit mortises for the top: Dry fit the top: Cut, trimmed and mitered the apron tenons for the base: Here’s the base dry fit: And, the almost completed table!
This is a one-handed post tonight; I had a bit of an accident, but I’ll get to that… We’ll keep with the chronology. I was able to get back to work on the table after about ten days away from it. My goals were to taper and mortise the legs and to cut the tenons for all top members. Here’s what I was able to accomplish… Tapers cut on the table saw…very slow going and quite a bit of burning: At the bench – I used the #4 set lightly to get the darkest of the burn marks out, fol...
In a recent Blog by Obi, he discussed using a router to cut mortises, and this started up a discussion, in which Don cautioned against getting a Hollow Chisel Mortiser. I think there are good thoughts on both sides of this debate, and I don’t mean to do anything other than offer some more experience about purchasing and using a Mortiser, and other methods of cutting mortises. As in anything, the more money you spend, the better tool you get. If I were buying just what I wanted, not what ...
It just makes me so darn angry. The life I have led has been one of logic. I am the son of a mathematician and much of my adult working years have been spent as an analyst. When I make a dumb mistake it grates on my nerves worse than finger nails on a chalk board. Now I don’t have delusions that I am going to progress in woodworking mistake free. Quite the contrary, I see my mistakes as an opportunity to learn. I have learned a lot. The angst I am feeling come from not only makin...
I am in the process of building a second plant stand (I thought that I would be done today but the Universe had other ideas.) One thing that I am pleased with is the aging of the pine legs. Rick brought home some 1×2 pine which worked great for the legs but they were too white for my willow. So, I used some “greying” stuff that I bought at Home Hardware. (I’ll have to go look at the name of it). It turns wood a natural- weathered look. With just one light coat and an...
I was going to draw bore peg the breadboard to the top today, but I had to do some fixing instead.I made the tenons the same length as the plan showed, they should have been longer, so there wasn’t enough material. I was afraid of the peg holes breaking out. You should have about 3/8”, & I only had 1/4”. To remedy this I epoxied some nails across the ends similar to the torsion bar on a guitar neck . After I was all done I thought I could have glued in a wooden...
I started today by gluing up the top. Doh! #1I decided to use Dominos for the project and did not pick the right size so I cut all the way through the case. Fix. I decided to use through Dominos for the project. Actually the shelves are held in by through Dominos and a false dado I created by layering plywood on the outer pieces. Glue and staples hold the second layer on. Left to right = bottom to top of side Case AssemblyAssembly is a snap with the Dominos. They hold the p...
cut the tenons oversized, then fit the first half inch or so, then pare back from there. fitting much better than the first two which I tried to cut to exact size. luckily those were the back legs; the front legs fit very nicely she’s coming together! thanks for looking
Providere’s Leg Update…. ....and then some! Well this past week has been a busy one for me around here. Started out with a storm on Monday and then we lost power, so the sump pump in the cellar went down and the water level went up….up….and up. Time to break out the gasoline pump and start pumping, old connected cape houses (1778), old dug cellars and bad grading can sure be a problem at times in the spring. What with water run off from spring rains and mud seaso...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries