My instructor for this project suggested that I use spacer blocks to cut the second shoulder for the tenons to fit the mortises needed for this rocking chair. I was about to make those spacers when I received a new issue of Woodcraft Magazine. The article in the Feb/Mar 2016 issue was entitled Twin-Blade Joinery. With this method I would use twin RIP saw blades with disks or shims between the blades. With the right combination of shims I could cut tenons for the following mortise sizes cut ...
Ok, here are a couple of more evenings of progress behind me. I need to cut 16 tenons total to fit the head board and foot boards on the two beds. This part of the project is going a little slower than the earlier parts. But I’m having fun on this part so its all good. I first scribed a line all the way around the shoulder with a knife, then cut the v groove to guide my saw. Sawed the shoulder, with my dovetail saw. I tried Paul Sellers advise here and used this saw even though it is a...
cut the tenons oversized, then fit the first half inch or so, then pare back from there. fitting much better than the first two which I tried to cut to exact size. luckily those were the back legs; the front legs fit very nicely she’s coming together! thanks for looking
For all the pictures, please click here. Note: This was supposed to have been posted Saturday the 25th… I wasn’t sure how much time I’d have today to work on the bench so instead of charging ahead with measuring the height of the legs to get ready for installing the top, I decided to do some more mundane tasks. They still are in general preparation for the top, but I just wasn’t planning on doing them first. Before I get going though, I had mentioned yestrday...
I cut the tenons in two parts, as suggested by the popular woodworking video. A. I cut down the lines. I used my dovetail saw, but I am sure there are many ways to do this, say, even with a tenon saw. B. I inserted a pattern bit into my router. I cut and planed down a piece which was the exact width of the tongue. This piece was also just slightly thinner than the depth of the shoulder of the tongue. These dimensions are important for two reasons.1. Getting the tongue right means the...
Hello. I have now finished the mortise and tenons for the base and have them all fit. Here are the two base assemblies put together. The assembly closest to view still needs a thin leg installed on its right side. You can see the tenons on top of each assembly which will be going into mortises in the bench top. Here is a view of the leg assemblies from the Roubo side of the bench, with the front legs that will be flush to the bench top side and the tenons that will be mortised into the ...
Hello. I am now working on the base for my workbench. I have changed some of the design details since my first concept, but not by much. The main difference is that the two legs on the Roubo side of the bench have tenons that will go into the bench top. The base was going to attach to the top the way most trestle bases do with bullet dowels, but then I realized that when I use the leg vise, all the pressure will be placed on the dowels! So I redesigned the front legs so that they have a tenon...
My new tenon saw arrived the day before Thanksgiving… just in time to try out on the tenons for my sister’s table. Never had I hand-cut tenons before – I always did them on my tablesaw with a dado blade – but these stretchers were really too long to do that easily for me. So I dived in – and surprisingly, everything went together pretty well: The saw is a 16” Wenzloff & Sons, and I have to say, despite the old “it’s not the arr...
The second run of mortises is in the legs. The tenoned rails will surround the juniper panels. Rather than squirt the air after each two holes, I looped a hose clamp around the air gun and trigger and used a nut driver to control it. (Nut driver is resting on the screw for the photo only.) It didn’t take much air to keep the work area clean. It was easier to get a bore – slide – bore – stack flow going when there was no interruption to work the air. The mortis...
No electrons were harmed during the building of this table. This was great fun and even more affirmation of the time I spent building my workbench. Enjoy the video.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries