The base of this box is where anyone can “go wild” with design options. The basics are simple, a frame with lap joints, filled with a plywood panel. The feet are simple squares. A pdf file with dimensions for the base can be found here The design allows for the base to have 1/2” of exposure along its perimeter with the box, basically it aligns flush with the boxes inside dimensions.A felt covered plywood piece fits into a routed shelf to seal off the box bottom. Th...
When milling up the material for the bench at my firms workshop i created a right angled triangular rail for the deadman to slide across, a couple of opposing 45 rips followed by a 0 rip was enough to create the slide. This was cut to the shoulder length of the front slider, glued and clamped into position.The underside of the top received a 12×20mm groove between the two front mortices created by a router and parallel fence.I cut a birds mouth at the bottom and a tongue at the t...
Well, after many months of hiatus from this project, I managed to get back on the horse. Looking at the May 30th time stamp of the last post, I realized that this is right before My convocation (graduation) ceremony at my university – so you can officially feel free to call me Dr. Ovens! This of course led to several months of job hunting, the success of which is still to be determined. In any case, the last update showed the joinery I used to couple the Padauk corner posts with the ...
After a quick check on the wounded drawer to see how things were drying, I came to the conclusion that my repair work accomplished it’s goal. The drawer is nice and sturdy again after the glue. However, I’m a little concerned about the depth of the router cut. I may have to redo this one. I decided to shelve the drawers and move on with the other trickery needed to finish the top. I need to make the little bins on the wings that will collect Legos the kids scoop off the main play surfa...
If you remember my Tip #7, I showed how I jointed one edge of a board by taping a straight edge to a board and running it along the fence of a table saw. Well, sometimes I think I’m just stupid! There’s an easier way to do this and I already had the jig for it made. My wife asked me for a piece of wood to shore up one side of an electronic keyboard at her school. I had a piece in mind, but wanted to square it up and paint it black. After I did all of this, using the method des...
How I made some legs that have a curved foot for a set of tables I’m working on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tByYIauTXj8
I’ve been wanting to try my hand at dovetails for a while – and beeing awfully fond of tools, I figured a dovetail template would be a nice thing to have for that purpose. but I also really like the idea about building my own tools and a dovetail template is very simple in design. However im not really sure I can yield my saw with enough precision to make a wooden one yet – allthough buying a dozuki really helped there. So I went with a different approach that gave me ...
We have more kitchen stuff than fits in our cabinets. We decided that a really large shelf could serve to hold some of the nicer-looking pieces, opening up room for the more utilitarian stuff behind closed doors. This started as a simple, innocent slab of wood on some store-bought brackets, but got waylaid in the design process. :) Here’s the design It’s big, about 94” long by 12” deep. It also incorporates two techniques I haven’t tried before (I’...
I’m working on a rigid heddle loom and came across an issue cutting out the sides. To some of you more well-versed in the arts and sciences of template cutting, this is probably a ho-hum tip. For me, it was an “Ah hah!!” moment. I’d taken care to make sure the minimum radius in the template was .5” since that’s the bit I used for the cutout. What I didn’t take into account was the length of the arms on the router table guard/DC that resulted in ...
So, I recently built a new cedar gate & needed some handles. I didn’t want to go out & buy some, so decided to make my own. Inspired by “http://lumberjocks.com/projects/48854” CaptainAhab’s handles, I ended up with:Here’s how I built them:Starting with a lamination of 3 pieces of clear Cedar which I planed down to about 2 1/8” thick:Obviously, I made a little template for the top curves out of 1/4” plywood & cut the top curve with the ban...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries