Relatively slow progress this week as I’m juggling many things. I was unhappy with the weighting of the first set of muntins, plus I made a simple error. Nothing amazing, but it was enough to convince me to pull the muntins and start afresh. Incidentally, the muntins were surprisingly strong in situ. One never gets much opportunity to test joinery to destruction in a real-world setting so it’s reassuring to know how much integrity exists within the work we do. In addition to th...
Hello all, We posted a new video to YouTube. We made a video slide show of some of the work we have done since starting in woodworking in 2002. Check out the video and watch our progression in our woodworking adventure. The mid century modern hall table we are working on is almost done. Part 2 to that video should be out in the next week or so. Thanks for watching and if you haven’t already don”t forget to subscribe to our channel. Here is a link to the video. https://www.youtu...
Update – With Pictures! So I ran into a problem with the original Shop Fox fence I ordered. No matter what I did to try and get it aligned it was toed into the blade. I called up technical support at Grizzly (after waiting on hold for about 30 minutes) they issued an RMA and exchanged the whole unit no questions asked. Once I get some hands-on time with this fence I’ll post a review of my initial impressions. . but it is definitely an upgrade to the original crappy fence tha...
My morning was taken up entirely by straightening out a snafu with my medical insurance co. and the doctor’s office. What a pain. Sometimes I wonder why I have health insurance. Anyway. . . When I did make it out to the shop, I had this cutoff piece of walnut left over from the leg vise chop that was perfect for the deadman. I’m not really done with it at this point, all I did was rip it and cut to length, cut a rabbet at the top and the V groove at the bottom. It fits right...
The finished project: The finish on this project is shop made country/shabby chic using chalk paint made from cheap flat ceiling paint tinted with even cheaper poster paints, mixed with not-so-cheap calcium carbonate, and shop made finishing past wax made from a chunk of bees wax and boiled linseed oil. One coat of Ivory chalk paint, 2 coats of Cyan chalk paint (first coat epic fail due to miscalculation of amount required), and 2 coats of finishing wax after sanding and distressing. ...
Just some photos of the main build:
I didn’t write the final post last week as I was pretty busy with my 20th wedding anniversary. Last weekend I had planned on flattening the tops on my last day off but only got half of it done. I had decided to use the router to flatten it, using a sled and rails. I saw the technique on the Wood Whisperer video and thought it was a good idea. So I went to the big box and got two 2×6 kiln dried 8’ long boards for the rails. The first thing it to make the edges straight and ...
After a long morning drinking my coffee and thinking about alternatives to keep working, I drove to the lumber yard and got a piece of baltic birch to make the flattening sled out of. When I came back I took my bent saw blade out and put a crescent wrench on the bent tooth. I moved it about three times and I think it may be useable. I soaked it in simple green to get the pitch off and I’ll try it tomorrow. I’m expecting that it’ll be a little rough but that’s ok. IR...
So, my task today was to cut up a piece of maple I bought the other day to make the gap stop and get it glued up in the clamps and then go over to family for Easter dinner. I set up the band saw and set about resawing the board into two halves. It went fine for the first 3/4 of the board then it was binding the blade and was not tracking straight, and not wanting to cut. I made a couple of adjustments, everything else looked fine in the setup. It just wouldn’t cut and was binding hor...
Wow! It has been a very busy couple of weeks. Last year I purchased the 2hp Harborfreight dust collector. I knew I was not going to use it in it’s stock configuration, I knew I wanted to set it up like Jay Bates did. So when I first got the DC I crammed it in a spot out of the way, to the right of the DC was the chimney, to the left was a bunch of Junk. I moved it to the NW corner of the basement. The blower is mounted on top of the factory ring and is exsausted to t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1613 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1638 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 222 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- robscastle - 181 entries