Managed to sneak out to the garage for a couple of hours yesterday and was able to get the three drawers I built the previous weekend installed. I haven’t gotten the faces put on them yet, but they’re in. The bottom one is rather stubborn. After I got it installed I measured and the opening is about 1/8” smaller than it is at the top so it binds just a bit. Thought maybe I’d spray it with some dry lube to see if that makes it a little smoother. The top drawer has a hea...
I hope everyone had a Festive Christmas, and I wish everyone a very Happy and Prosperous New Year! I didn’t realise quite how long I had been out of the game, until today. I seem to have spent all my time with Medical Specialists. I have had the operation on my right knee, and that is progressing nicely, at least I am no longer walking with a stick. Unfortunately the second spinal block, did not work on my back, so what happens next, I have no idea, and I am also waiting to see if th...
This is to blog a build of a pool cue case, requested by a friend who donated a chunk of old-old American black walnut, supposedly from a 150-year old barn in Oklahoma. Wood was 8/4 about 90”x10” and twisted, bowed, cupped, but we thought maybe salvageable for the cue case. Part 1 of this is the initial milling of the blank just to see if enough material will be left after resaw to 3/8”. Chunk 1 ready for truing up in the planer (no jointer here). Had to cut the orig...
Got to spend a little time working on Saturday. Had hoped for an earlier start since the weather was going to be nice most of the day, but had to run some errands with SWMBO in the morning. Knew this might be my last chance to actually be able to work in the driveway with nice weather so I’d really hoped to get to a point that what I had left I could do in the garage with it closed up. I managed to get the three drawers and faces that are going next to the one large drawer below the saw...
I debated with the purchase of a “real” woodworker’s table saw for some time. My original purchase a couple years ago was the Bosch 4100. I had never used a table saw prior to that purchase so there was a lot of time spent reading the owner’s manual. I have greatly enjoyed the projects made with this little workhorse of a saw. Easy to change blades and simple to use a dado set. The work surface is small and, thus at times have felt limited by the capacity. The Powermatic sale in Novembe...
In this segment I get the stretchers made and joined to the legs of the coffee table. I am still not accustomed to the new saws and will have to put more effort into my form. Never the less, the half lap dovetails come out OK. Except for one little repair that had to be made along the way. There will be more mistakes in upcoming videos, but they all get dealt with. As I was editing this I noticed I went from shorts and a T shirt to long pants and a pull over. The change in seasons is st...
Tapering of the legs went pretty well. The tapering jig in the last post failed a little because all I had done is shoot brad nails in the cross braces. ( Duh!) had to reset the angle and re-cut a few sides but not too bad. (lesson #1: secure the jig!) Since this was a 4 side taper, I cut 2 sides, then used the off-cut as a wedge to fill the gap when I cut the other 2 sides. I cut the notch (dado?) for the shelf in my table saw sled before I did the taper so it would be perpendicular ...
Had a little time this past weekend and was able to get another drawer done in spite of the rain. I cleaned and arranged a little so I had enough room at the garage door to be able to spin the workstation around and face it out the opened door. I had already made the pieces for this drawer but after deciding to do the router end, just left them until I got back to it. At the time I tried mixing some of the gray paint I have with some white and for some reason it didn’t make the lighter ...
Yep, using soft pine. Not confident enough yet to spend the $ on hardwood. This could just end up being a prototype if I don’t like how it finishes but it wont be used for chopping. Updated Plan Gluing up the legs: Taper Jig ready (haven’t made it adjustable yet) Gluing up the top. Need some shorter pipes for my pipe clamps. 5’ pipe clamps on a 16.5” wide top. “ha!” but I needed their strength.. Top ended up with a slight twi...
After the coffee table build I took some time to get a bit further along on the shop itself. Doing it a bit at a time is not really the recommended way of doing it, but it is what the budget allows. This is a long term project and I throw a little at a time into it. I never heard of a shop being truly “done” anyway. I didn’t think I had enough footage for a video, but it turns out I had more than enough, so there will be another update in the near future. View on You...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries