Tapering of the legs went pretty well. The tapering jig in the last post failed a little because all I had done is shoot brad nails in the cross braces. ( Duh!) had to reset the angle and re-cut a few sides but not too bad. (lesson #1: secure the jig!) Since this was a 4 side taper, I cut 2 sides, then used the off-cut as a wedge to fill the gap when I cut the other 2 sides. I cut the notch (dado?) for the shelf in my table saw sled before I did the taper so it would be perpendicular ...
Had a little time this past weekend and was able to get another drawer done in spite of the rain. I cleaned and arranged a little so I had enough room at the garage door to be able to spin the workstation around and face it out the opened door. I had already made the pieces for this drawer but after deciding to do the router end, just left them until I got back to it. At the time I tried mixing some of the gray paint I have with some white and for some reason it didn’t make the lighter ...
Yep, using soft pine. Not confident enough yet to spend the $ on hardwood. This could just end up being a prototype if I don’t like how it finishes but it wont be used for chopping. Updated Plan Gluing up the legs: Taper Jig ready (haven’t made it adjustable yet) Gluing up the top. Need some shorter pipes for my pipe clamps. 5’ pipe clamps on a 16.5” wide top. “ha!” but I needed their strength.. Top ended up with a slight twi...
After the coffee table build I took some time to get a bit further along on the shop itself. Doing it a bit at a time is not really the recommended way of doing it, but it is what the budget allows. This is a long term project and I throw a little at a time into it. I never heard of a shop being truly “done” anyway. I didn’t think I had enough footage for a video, but it turns out I had more than enough, so there will be another update in the near future. View on You...
So my mom’s been talking about putting a stand for her heavy, kitchen aid mixer at the end of her kitchen counter. I thought i might be able to build something so we collaborated on the design to fit the space. I drew it in Sketchup Some new adventures for me… 1. getting good tight miter corners on the framing of the top.. Outside board will be 5.5” to look like a very thick top.2. 4 side tapered leg. (time to build a tapering jig for my table saw)3. mo...
Made a lot of mistakes on this one, which caused me to learn a bunch of new tricks and fixes. Firstly, I shouldn’t have used crooked wood for the box sides. I knew what would happen. All the corners were bad of course. I cut them out! Then when I was doweling the new corners, they cracked. Just wanted to show my project that I love and hate and maybe hear some feedback, or other horror stories.
Well I didn’t get to really put in anymore time over the long weekend than I would have over a regular weekend. Actually even less, so not a lot of progress. Did add a line to draw dust out of the router enclosure to where I’ll connect to it in the back of the workstation. I know I really shouldn’t have a 90 degree turn in the line but it’s a fairly small enclosure and I never really expected to be able to draw all of the dust anyway. Apart from that, all I got don...
Yes, it is a long series, and going to get longer…..lol. In this one we get the feet roughed out and some actual joinery done, mortising the feet and legs together. I get some new saws too. After I see myself working with them I realise I have to improve my body mechanics and form. But I am having fun, and to me, that is the whole point. View on YouTube
Building the frame was just straight forward woodworking, accurate measurement and square cuts. I built the frame out of cherry 1. I like cherry and how it darkens over time and 2. it was a $400 upgrade for frame on one of the commercial marimba websites. I can get cherry at a reasonable price here.The first thing is to make the two ends. Time to make the keyboard frames. This is one place where building the glockenspiel first really helped in understanding why and how important...
Was able to finish the bottom drawer on the router table end of the workstation. I also decided to splurge (yeah, right) and bought some wood knobs for the drawers. The metal pull on the big drawer is clearance from Lowe’s. I found about a dozen like this for 82 cents each. Couldn’t pass that up. They were cheaper than the wood knobs at 87 cents lol. Also I think they’ll be better for the larger drawers that’ll have more weight in them. Once I had all of thi...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1807 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 113 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1832 entries
- dbhost - 440 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 321 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries