With the drawer problem solved it was time to attach the drawer runners to the side aprons, a stop to the back (to keep the drawer from recessing too far into the table), and get the table glued up. A shallow dado on the drawer rides along maple runners attached to the aprons. You can see the dado in this shot of the drawer box. With the assembly dry fit and turned upside down on the bench I placed the runners into the dadoes and lower the drawer between the aprons. To raise the drawe...
I’m catching up on blogging the construction of my Thorsen House side table. The Saturday before the project was due I decided to start the day with the construction of the drawer box. Several years ago I bought a dovetail jig at Rockler, which I’ve never used. I decided that this was the perfect chance to give it a try. I’d pulled it out of the box, affixed it to a clamping board and familiarized myself with it’s part the night before so I was all set to go. ...
I now have a video-cam, so I tried it out with this Video of My Table.This is a first time for me with the new camera, so I hope you’ll enjoy this.
In a couple of my Blogs or Projects I’ve mentioned my Sliding Table. I thought I’d give you a view of it. It’s made by Exaktor Tools Phil Humphry was the owner and engineer who designed the table. It looks like new owners now.It was a tossup between the Exaktor and Excalibur . The table saw that I purchased was a Fay-Egan commercial saw. The files of the Manufacture have been destroyed so no history exists that give serial numbers and dates manufactured. The company went bankrupt in 1937, ot...
Obi wanted to see the cherry so here it is. I got very little sleep last night not because I was working on the table but simply insomnia. I’ve got a work project that isn’t going well which was part of the reason I think. Anyway because of that I called in (well actually emailed in) that I’d be working from home today. As a result I was able to take some time mid-day and get the first coat of finish on the table. I chose amber shellac to give a little richness ...
As you know this is the last day (in CDT time) to submit your entry into the Thorsen Table Challenge. I’d like to remind you of the proper way to submit the project. The most important thing is to submit your entry as the project and not as the blog entry. Many of you have tracked your progress in the exciting blog series. But at the end you must add your table as the project too (and don’t forget to link back to your blog series from the project story to make it easy for other...
This end result is a nice little side table, but I must confess, it is not up to my standards. It will make a nice table along side the couch. I’m finishing in haste to get the subscription to PW, but I will continue my challenge and improve this table more at a later date. My son (age 3) loves to hang out in the woodshop, so he can help me. Bottom line, the baby girl goes to the doctor on time, I get my challenge finished, and my son gets to help me finish it next week! Legs, si...
I trusted that the bit for my pocket hole jig was correctly set. I was wrong. When I attached the top to the sides and legs, here is the result. I like the way the table looks, but the holes on top are enough to make me pull out my dwindling hairs. As a result, I had to resort to nailing the top to the legs in order to finish the contest and take my little angel to the doctor.UGH! The smaller holes are from the brad nailer.
Ok, Here’s the deal. Its 12:35pm. My daughter has a doctors appt at 3:45. I have procrastinated my challenge project to the point that I had to abandon my idealistic goal of glueless wedge tenons. I do reserve the right to rechallenge myself at a later date on that joint. I will get it done!The legs are clamped up and nearly dry Here's the top. Pocket holes have replaced wedge tenons...Yes, I'm in a hurry. The sides are small, but mighty!
I am going to cut it very close on this. If I didn’t have to work tomorrow I’d be fine, but I do have to work. I expect it’ll be 9 or 10pm before I get pictures posted – and it’s possible the finish will still be wet! This project has pushed me and has brought out the perfectionist in me. I cut the legs twice – because I wasn’t happy with the mortises on the first set. And given the opportunity I might recut a couple of the other parts as well....
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1296 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1318 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries