I forgot to bring the actual camera with me today, so I took the above image with my phone. Tomorrow I’ll post the actual project. This table is actually going to haunt me for a bit. I thought I had fixed all the blemishes last night—CLUE-the word ‘night’. In the light of day, inside a building under 3 huge fluorescent lights. I see the flaws. I should be able to fix these in situ (that’s actually Latin, I thought it was French!)
My statement from the last blog post is still true. The table is saved. I swear the learning curve on this project is straight up. I have had such trouble putting the final finish on the table top, plus the weather, (I’m working outside under a canopy), plus other chores… I still expect to get the table delivered this weekend, although rain is predicted for Saturday! I kept getting nothing but brush strokes trying to put the final finish on. I sanded, but when I got the bru...
I saved it. Does that count for anything? I’ve been having a bit of an adventure staining the table. Aside from not handing it to a professional I know what I did wrong, I tried staining the table. Does good plywood have a project side and a non-project side? I’m using maple plywood. When I made my cuts, I made it so that the plainer side was facing out. Apparently that was my first mistake. So, After I got everything cut, glued, screwed, sanded etc. I hesitated before ...
Yesterday I cut and applied the molding that covers the edges of the plywood. The molding is of a different wood (pine) and I think the contrast between the main parts and the edges when I stain it will look better than everything being just one shade. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! So today I sanded the legs, the side braces and started sanding the top. The top looks great, so I’m pretty ecstatic about the whole project now. I may yet get to start st...
Not a thrilling photo today, but I had to get my feet back under me after the weekend. On Friday afternoon our well developed a problem. I had to call a plumber for this one. As plumber calls go, this one wasn’t that bad, though prepping for his arrival caused me to clean out a storage area of my shop and put that stuff in my shop proper. So today I worked on the legs. The only thing I need to do to the base at this point is saw some edging to hide the plywood edges and glue ...
Today I started working on the legs for the table. The picture above will give you an idea of what they will look like. The photos below are two views of the glue up. They are not glued to the table, but will eventually be bolted to the cleats. In these photos I’m using the cleats and the 2×4s sticking out the ends as spacers. I put a bit of duct tape on them to allow a little play. We’re getting there.
It’s starting to look like a table, even if it is upside down. While sanding the bottom edges today I learned some lessons of what NOT to do when I sand the top. I’ve attached the skirt to the top using homemade cleats(?) with over-sized holes for the screws. I should be starting the base tomorrow. (I might mention that the picnic table on which this project sits was also one of my creations. It works, but it’s a little bit too rustic to be called woodworking, more ...
I may add a few photos to this as I go along because it’s going to be long. The photo above shows the edging being glued to two sides of the plywood after my initial cut to size. I’m building a nice table for the library/meeting room in our church. The library was painted and enhanced by a few dark cherry bookshelves a few years ago, so I thought I’d replace the two old folding table with something a bit nicer. After This I get to work out a chair design that is nic...
Years ago when I just needed a cheap table saw for misc household projects, I bought a Ryobi BT3100 at Home Depot. At that time, it was cheap and was one of the nicer ones for the money. Now, years later, as I am getting back into woodworking, I need a good saw that will handle jigs and such. I know this is a divided topic – some LOVE it, some HATE. I own one and I’m still on the fence. It only had a miter slot on one side, doesn’t have a nice flat cast-iron bed and ...
We did a new video on this hide glue series on a low-tech technique to veneer columns. Please comment it helps us progress in our videos and do not hesitate to ask question we will do a video to answer you.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1508 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1532 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries