Fine Woodworking Magazine published an article many years ago of a table that Sydney Barnsley built in the 1920’s.The table is now in a museum in Cheltenham England. The article had original drawings that I redrew in Sketchup.I traveled to England last year to see the original and I have just procured some old white oak barn beams that I am going to use for the undercarriage. The table fascinates me and will require a lot of hand work and chip carving.It may take a while, but I wi...
Because my table saw has one of those thin metal blade inserts, I’ve been thinking for quite a while how to make a zero clearance insert for my saw. I cut quite a few small or thin items and often, as might be expected, the thin cuttings fall down the slot between the insert and the blade. Only once did this actually result in something a bit startling, but I wanted to remedy the situation in any case. At one time, I tried making a ZCI by dadoeing around a hunk of wood so that ...
So I used 2×1 poplar to frame out where I will house the router.. I will be using 3/4 MDF .. That’s next I will need to custom cut the MDF to fit and I’m just praying that I put the frame pieces in the right place so support the MDF and that it also looks symmetrical as Dara’s where the drawers will be going on the sides!
I recently made a stone top table with Mortise and Tenon Joinery. I was thinking of making more of these tables, also ~3×3” legs with 1.5” thick aprons would make some pretty sweet work tables out of construction grade pine. Normally I would simply use a router and edge guide to make the mortise, then cut the tenons with a combination of hand tools (to cut shoulders) and bandsaw for the cheeks, then cleaned up with a router plane. However since I want to make multiple tables I figu...
I forgot to bring the actual camera with me today, so I took the above image with my phone. Tomorrow I’ll post the actual project. This table is actually going to haunt me for a bit. I thought I had fixed all the blemishes last night—CLUE-the word ‘night’. In the light of day, inside a building under 3 huge fluorescent lights. I see the flaws. I should be able to fix these in situ (that’s actually Latin, I thought it was French!)
My statement from the last blog post is still true. The table is saved. I swear the learning curve on this project is straight up. I have had such trouble putting the final finish on the table top, plus the weather, (I’m working outside under a canopy), plus other chores… I still expect to get the table delivered this weekend, although rain is predicted for Saturday! I kept getting nothing but brush strokes trying to put the final finish on. I sanded, but when I got the bru...
I saved it. Does that count for anything? I’ve been having a bit of an adventure staining the table. Aside from not handing it to a professional I know what I did wrong, I tried staining the table. Does good plywood have a project side and a non-project side? I’m using maple plywood. When I made my cuts, I made it so that the plainer side was facing out. Apparently that was my first mistake. So, After I got everything cut, glued, screwed, sanded etc. I hesitated before ...
Yesterday I cut and applied the molding that covers the edges of the plywood. The molding is of a different wood (pine) and I think the contrast between the main parts and the edges when I stain it will look better than everything being just one shade. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! So today I sanded the legs, the side braces and started sanding the top. The top looks great, so I’m pretty ecstatic about the whole project now. I may yet get to start st...
Not a thrilling photo today, but I had to get my feet back under me after the weekend. On Friday afternoon our well developed a problem. I had to call a plumber for this one. As plumber calls go, this one wasn’t that bad, though prepping for his arrival caused me to clean out a storage area of my shop and put that stuff in my shop proper. So today I worked on the legs. The only thing I need to do to the base at this point is saw some edging to hide the plywood edges and glue ...
Today I started working on the legs for the table. The picture above will give you an idea of what they will look like. The photos below are two views of the glue up. They are not glued to the table, but will eventually be bolted to the cleats. In these photos I’m using the cleats and the 2×4s sticking out the ends as spacers. I put a bit of duct tape on them to allow a little play. We’re getting there.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1463 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1487 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries