LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'syp'

  • Advertise with us
View JasonD's profile

My new Roubo #3: Laminating the top (part 2)

1214 days ago by JasonD | 2 comments »

Still hard at work putting the top together. I recently upgraded the blade in my vintage Stanley #7 jointer plane with an IBC Pinnacle blade / chipbreaker. This made a HUGE difference in dimensioning the boards and getting the faces flat for glue ups. I decided to glue it up in 3 sections each 8” wide. Then one final glue up of those 3 sections for a final full width of 24”. The pieces being glued up for the top top are 61”; which will be trimmed to 60” after the en...

Read this entry »


View JasonD's profile

My new Roubo #2: Working on the top

1226 days ago by JasonD | 2 comments »

One of the things I’m most thankful for about this project is all the lessons I’m learning, relearning, and getting a new appreciation for. Dimensioning the boards for the top 100% by hand has proven to be a lot of work, but I’m loving every bit of it. Planing these boards has been a real challenge considering that they’re a foot longer than my current plywood + hardboard bench top. I’ve had to be creative and to attack that problem; finally coming up with a g...

Read this entry »


View JasonD's profile

My new Roubo #1: Legs...lots of sweat, lots of shavings

1235 days ago by JasonD | 1 comment »

I first got into woodworking a year ago when my wife and I bought our first house. At the time, my son and I built a makeshift workbench using 2×4s, plywood, hardboard, and a $20 vise from Lowes. It’s served me well in building some cabinets for the house, but it’s seriously lacking in a lot of ways. Being a big fan Christopher Schwarz’s books, DVDs, and blogs, I’ve been wanting to build a Roubo-style bench for months. I finally got a break in my honey-do proje...

Read this entry »


View PurpLev's profile

Bowling Alley Workbench #3: Back to Square1... Committed to new Design - legs are ready.

1759 days ago by PurpLev | 15 comments »

so After setting on the last design (see previous post in this series) I went out to disassemble the bowling alley laminated top – the purpose was to remove all the nails, so that I can drill the dog holes, and also laminate it in a double stack to give me a 4” top on the perimeter (5” in from the edges – for clamping purposes, and leg attachments). This idea turned to be disastrous. The nails are hardened steel, and twisted making the job of pulling them outridicul...

Read this entry »


View ustompsteve's profile

SYP Roubo #2: Base Stickered and Drying

1823 days ago by ustompsteve | 5 comments »

I cut the boards for the base to length and stickered them for drying. I used 2×12 SYP for this so that I can have the legs end up 5” thick. Based on a recommendation I have been getting my joists at 84 Lumber. The are Grade 1 whereas the BORG carries Grade 2. The 84 lumber stuff is way clearer and I think it is about the same price. Now I wait… —steve

Read this entry »


View ustompsteve's profile

SYP Roubo #1: Top is Milled and Laminated

1823 days ago by ustompsteve | 1 comment »

The top is finished except for trimming the ends and flattening. I used 2”x10”x8’ SYP joists and cut them in half. Jointed, planed and then cut them to 4.25” width on the table saw. I glued them up using Titebond III and a foam brush. I did them in groups of four (2 joists) at a time. I then jointed and planed those 5 groups of 4 and glued them all to each other in one big glue-up. I made clamping cauls using cut-offs covered w/ packing tape so they wouldn...

Read this entry »


« prev 1 2 3
26 entries


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase