About three and a half years ago I got the opportunity to acquire several cypress logs that were being removed from a building site near my regular job. At first I planned to mill them into lumber myself using a chainsaw mill but I soon reconsidered that plan and they just sat in my yard waiting for me to decide what to do. Here they are, waiting… About the same time I also acquired several logs from three sycamore trees that were taken down in the neighborhood. Initially I had th...
Hello here this is my second attempt to blog shell boxes. The last one ended up in the wall art ‘Inverted World’. Well this one is a little less spectacular but is based along the same theme of curves. This time a curved pattern but it will have stringing introduced between the colour changes as will become apparent as the blog progresses. The main woods are American Black Walnut and Sycamore with Yew stringing. I will be book-matching woods where necessary. First step i...
Hello everyone. I have been busy making stuff and have finally finished a video that has been almost a year in the making. I made this video to be like a commercial for me and my work so it doesn’t give any tutorial. I do have a series of videos to be published soon that are more along that line. My goal as a video maker is to provide the viewer with an alternative to the typical format of woodworking videos; where a guy stands across the bench and talks at the camera, showing lit...
I’ve accepted the mission and the secretary has already dissavowed all knowledge of me (for all you MI fans).Armed with my plans and two sticks of wood (one Sycamore, 50mm square. One Purpleheart, slightly bigger) I enter the arena of ‘The Impossible’. I feel someone is watching me. Is it the ghost of the great M.C.Escher or has the medication worn off already? No its you lot. Quiet at the back. ThreeSpeed, the mad professor is about to start. Here is where we begin P...
Wednesday was a bad day. The Bad As I was rummaging through my supply of wood, I started to notice some dead beetles. No, not the ones from England. These looked liked they had fallen dead into some of my Pearwood bowl blanks, now dry after a couple of years of sitting. I as I got closer to discovering the source, I started finding living bugs. “This really sucks”, I said to myself, minus a few explicatives. It did not take me long to find the source. It was that reall...
Not a threat. A lyric from an early Pink Floyd album. But I am going to do it, to the blanks. There’s some trig. in this part of the blog. If you don’t know Trigonometry youll just have to trust me. First this is what came out of the glue-up. Now I’d pre thicknessed both the Sycamore and the purpleheart on the side which will be triangle shaped before gluing up so all I have to do now is thickness the other side, to 4mm. I do this by trimming the end off in the table ...
Through a series of fortunate coincidences, I became the owner of three nice, free sycamore logs. As the quick-and-dirty version goes: a buddy of a buddy lined them up for me, and another buddy retrieved them. I had not even seen the logs until I showed up at the saw mill last Friday to make some lumber. I was pleased with the quality of the logs. They weren’t incredibly long, but they were straight and clear, and a good size. I’m glad my network of buddies rescued these fr...
The base has been assembled now for about a week. But what’s taken time has been new discussion on the finish. After long planning to do an Arm-R-Seal or similar, my wife decided she wanted to keep the wood as light as possible. Since the oil would take it to an amber color, that meant either shellac, lacquer or water-borne acrylic/polyurethane. After some samples were compared, we decided to go with General Finishes’ High Performance. It seemed to keep the closest c...
I was feeling a bit predictable so I set myself a challenge. I had three boards that, on the surface, looks less than pretty. So, I decided I would make “something” with them. Here are the three boards: The two on the right are Ash with some rather interesting discoloration. The one on the left was “I know not what” when I started. I started by cutting the left board in half, and then cutting it again at the split. I flattened on side and glued the two p...
The bow tie layout for the outside of the apron is done. I also laid out for dovetail keys in the corner of the table top and cut the ebony to be used for the inlay. I used a router with a 1/8” bit to hog out the bulk. The lighting in my shop is ok, but not ideal. I used this cap from Lowes with LED lights in the bill to give me almost “line-of-sight” lighting to the router bit. I switched to a 1/16” bit to get as much of the corners as I could, then clea...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1189 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1211 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries