Well, we are basically finished. There are a couple spots that we still need to put some more Poly on, but the crib is basically finished. Enjoy. Well, that pretty much doesn’t for the crib. I had a lot of fun (and frustration) on this project and am looking forward to the next. There was a lot of lessons learned in this one that is for sure. This was, after all, my first piece of furniture since I was 11 years old. And much more challenging than that one ...
Well, its been awhile now so i figured that it was time for another shop tour. i have made a lot of shop additions in the past few months and i have gone from just a kid with a few tools to this now having a fully funtional shop and being able to sell my work and taking in commissions. so here is my updated shop tour watch out it gets a little crazy at the end, but i left it in for giggles :) so i hope that everyone liked it. i’m really not sure what the next videos i am going t...
My Dad and Grandma came out this weekend. We spent most of the day Saturday looking at baby stuff. You know how Grandma’s eat that up. Consequently, we did not get the crib done this weekend. Oh well, we still had fun. The Inlay – my biggest fear. It wasn’t too bad and was completely horrible all at the same time. I “cheated” on my inlay. I was planning on using Mark’s method and do a lot of the cutting by hand. However, in the interest of time and for t...
Since I changed my mind on the design and had to get new hardware, it only makes since that I would have to make some new pieces. I first tried sitting the plastic slide portion in the front legs and the pin in the gate. This did not work with my design. Two legs and two gate pieces no good. Then I decided to install the hardware as suggested and put the pins in the legs and the slides in the front gate. To do this, the front gate would have to be 1 1/4” thick. My is only 3/4”....
Sorry, no pictures on this one. I know that is a “no no” in blogs, but I just need a quick answer and I’ll get some more pics on this week yet. I have most of the crib finished and hope to complete it this weekend. I have put off what i consider the most challenging part until then end. Not that i am afraid of a challenge, just would hate to mess up this piece. On the back (longest side opposite of the sliding gate) I have a piece of walnut. It starts out at the legs a...
hey everyone, over the last couple of days i have been able to get a lot done in terms of milling up the lumber and gluing up panels. i chose sycamore for the trash box because it is a hard wood as opposed to the pine that i was going to use before. there was a sale at the lumberyard on sycamore and it was less per bf than a select 1 board of pine. so the purchase made sense. first i got my lumber and let it sit for awhile and then milled it up. the first picture is of a rough board and ...
Well, I must say this has been a learning experience. Unfortunately I had to make a mistake to learn from it. From now on I will never attempt a project without having the hardware ahead of time. Not a big deal sometimes, but on a crib, it turned out to be a big deal. I designed my crib myself, and halfway through building it, decided to change hardware types. Of course, the legs were already cut for the original idea. Last night I started planning down some more Walnut to make two new ...
Well, I think we have everything ready for the hardware. Unfortunately, I changed my mind on the type of hardware I was going to use at the last second. Ordered some completely hidden hardware for the front gate and it won’t make it here until Monday, after the long weekend. Next time I really need to get my hardware here earlier. We have everything cut and dry fitted. All sanded and ready to be put together. I think we are going to get as much of the finishing done prior to assembly...
We went through and picked out some lumber last weekend. My dad came out and helped me get all of the pieces planed down and cut to rough size. The Sycamore slats are cut to size, the rest is just close. Waiting for final dimensioning to give the wood some time to move if it is going to. Here we are preparing it. Yeah, I know, forgot my safety glasses. I’ve been trying to do better at this now that I have some prescription safety glasses. Here...
I want to send out a special thank you to Randy for sending me a set of plans. But, I chose to do things the hard way and design my own crib. I did use Randy’s plans for the critical dimensions, but other than that, it is pretty much my own design. I used SketchUp for the design. I think this crib will be a little unique. I wanted a crib that would be easy for my wife to change the sheets, adjustable mattress height, and an adjustable front slide gate. The crib will be made mostly...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1197 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1219 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries