Well, the bike is still down. Managed to fix my starting issue, but now it doesn’t hold idle. It’s always something. With modern diagnostics, I can check/change fueling and many other parameters with a laptop. The laptop was out to upload a new map, but unfortunately it isn’t going to help my idle issue. That’s more of a mechanical problem I believe. Unfortunately for these projects, that means that I still can’t do any work in the garage. That means I nee...
Unlike my previous blog posts, I intend to actually finish this series. Apologies to anyone who was left hanging until the project was posted on previous ones. Here goes nothing… These projects will be a bit more complicated than previous work that I’ve done. Additionally, these will be my first experience into working with Hot Hide Glue. I was able to pick up a Hold Heet glue pot and some hide glue from someone used for only $35. The first box that I will be making is going...
Reclaimed Glory #15: Reclaimed Mahogany & Finger Joints: A Welcome Distraction from Pressing Concerns
First of all. What the hell are people doing throwing away solid mahogany… That just irks me… THIS STUFF DOESN”T GROW ON TREES PEOPLE!... well, OK, OK… but you get my point. Second of all, what in the WORLD were they thinking PAINTING this mahogany an opaque BROWN!.... Sometimes there is simply no justice in this world. Not that I mind coming up on 30+ bf of some old genuine mahogany. Cause I’m all about it. In fact, I get pretty much all my wood from my li...
CapnEddie a user on youtube did a video on 4 in 1 screwdrivers. He took a cheap 1.99 home depot unit and broke off the plastic handle from the metal inside. He then turned a new screwdriver to fit the old screwdriver. I started by putting the piece on my lathe and using a bowl gouge turning off the plastic handle After that I have a kit with a metal piece that needs to be epoxied in after you turn the handle. I drilled in two steps first drilling a whole to accomadate the length of ...
I recently got a 6 foot length of sycamore which I cut in half in order to make a chopping block/table 3 foot by 2foot. Even after cutting in half the boards were so badly twisted that I had to split them length ways in order to flatten and plane them without removing too much material . The picture above shows the boards sawn ready for jointing and planing. I first of all flattened one face on the jointer and then put them through the thicknesser to achieve a consistent t...
When the table was last worked on, I had two sides in the clamps No, that isn’t a glue squeeze out running down the apron’s side, turns out it is a Powder post Beetle track. Sans Beetle, of course. I dry fitted the rest of the parts and laid out for some corner blocks. Gave me a chance to try out my new Miter box An Atkins 11 point panel saw. Got the four blocks cut, and some holes drilled. Needed a counter sink the set the screws in I chucked this one in the dri...
I spent part of today, getting a few 1×4s ready to become aprons on the table. They had been sitting out in the van for over a month, freezing their knots off. Brought them in to the Dungeon shop to warm up awhile. laid them out on the clothes dryer, in fact One of the four short pieces is elsewhere. Actually, it was in a vise, getting a little trim work Oh boy, a board with…..Charactor! Those are cracks, not pencil marks. Took a hand plane for a spin on the f...
Check out my website for my first little blog post http://joshhallfurniture.weebly.com/blog.html Thanks Josh Hall
Through a series of fortunate coincidences, I became the owner of three nice, free sycamore logs. As the quick-and-dirty version goes: a buddy of a buddy lined them up for me, and another buddy retrieved them. I had not even seen the logs until I showed up at the saw mill last Friday to make some lumber. I was pleased with the quality of the logs. They weren’t incredibly long, but they were straight and clear, and a good size. I’m glad my network of buddies rescued these fr...
The base has been assembled now for about a week. But what’s taken time has been new discussion on the finish. After long planning to do an Arm-R-Seal or similar, my wife decided she wanted to keep the wood as light as possible. Since the oil would take it to an amber color, that meant either shellac, lacquer or water-borne acrylic/polyurethane. After some samples were compared, we decided to go with General Finishes’ High Performance. It seemed to keep the closest c...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1507 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries