We have completed the entry phase of the Summer Contest 27 Entries have been entered into the Outdoor Projects. 18 Entries have been entered into the Joinery Projects. Good luck to all entrants. And we wish the best to each and everyone of them. We also wish the best who were unable to complete in time or were unable to even get started. There will be more contests and challenges. I’d like a greater number next time. Karson
Was running out of daylight to take pictures in, so I had to finish quick… here’s the pieces: and here's the project
Yes.. we’re on the count down. This is the last chance to enter your project(s) to the Summer 2007 Awards. The exact deadline is July 31, 2007 at 3 PM CDT I’d like to remind you of two important things: Your project may be older to be considered as the valid Awards Entry in both categories (Garden Project and Wood Joinery). I’m sure that many of you have created at least one interesting garden project in the past. So don’t hesitate to enter it. Your project s...
To date, the most time I’ve spent at the lathe was 3 hours – and that was in a small classroom setting practing beads and coves – 1/2 the time playing and getting a feel for the tools, and the rest of the time trying to make deliberate shapes – while contantly dealing with catches. Today, I began working on my wood joinery/garden project. 1 hour of planning and cutting, 4 hours straight at the lathe! Also to date, the longest things I’ve turned came in around ...
It’s funny how this contest challenges you to think about wood in different ways. At first you think of how to replace nails with dowels or dovetails… then as designs get too complex, the mind broadens and figures out how to strip away the clutter and simplify the design or the plan. (I’ve always been good with simplification – resume’ as it were) It finally ocurred to me, just tonight, that the baskets my sister made (we have two, a wine basket and a stair ba...
Ah, life. It’s what happens while you’re busy making other plans. I had (ok, still have) a great idea for both contests. Yes, two birds with one stone. And what was even better, was that it required only small amounts of time and attention, spread out over the duration of the contest. It was required actually. As I would be turning pieces of green wood, and needed to stagger the assembly, so as the pieces could dry gradually and mother nature could do the joinery for me. No need f...
Almost Done> As I was reading the previous posted blogs on the construction of the Summer 2007 LumberJocks Joinery, I noticed that I failed to complete the posting of the latch for the cabinet door. Not only had I failed to post it, I had failed to install it. I wanted to use something like a clothes pin. The little loop that catches the wire for hanging clothes. I had created my wire simulation out of wood. This was installed in the end of a shelf board. The space behind the Holl...
I had some stuff come up today that is going to keep me out of the shop for the next few of days so it looks like this will not get finished in time. I’m afraid I’m going to have to post a previous project as much as I didn’t want to do that. I get it finished eventually but I’m afraid its on the back burner for at least a week. Very frustrating….the cedar was looking nice. Oh well…....:)
Time to turn my attention to the back. The locking mortise and tenon had been designed and it was now time to cut the mortises in the sides of the back. They were marked thru the holes in the sides and tape placed on the back to give the ends of the mortises. Using the horizontal router table. A view from the side. All of the wedge key tenons were made long so they are now being cut to the appropriate length minus 1/8” to allow for the back to move. And cut the wedge tenons to the co...
One thing nice about not being allowed to use glue, No glue clean up and you can pre-finish all of the parts before assembly. On my finishing blog I wrote about using Pumice and Rottenstone as a wood filler, I thought I’d try something different on this cabinet. I used my private blend Danish Oil (1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil BLO, 1/3 varnish, and 1/3 Mineral Spirits). I squirted it on the boards and used a 120 grit Random Orbital Sander (ROS) to sand the oil and sanding dust. In doing that I wa...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries