LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'stretchers'

  • Advertise with us
View joedillon's profile

part 5 fitting the stretchers.

01-02-2016 08:33 PM by joedillon | 0 comments »

For me the stretchers would make or break the bench, if measured, cut and positioned incorrectly it introduce an instability in the bench and or make it next to unusable.I wanted them as heavy as possible so they ended up being 100*100mm.I clamped all the legs to the bench top and placed the stretchers against the legs and marked each on against its corresponding legs.I used the same mortice gauge to mark the tenons, scribed the shoulders with a knife and went to work cutting the shou...

Read this entry »


View twobyfour16's profile

Workbench #4: Stretchers

04-29-2012 05:22 PM by twobyfour16 | 3 comments »

Back at it. Since the plans for the workbench called for stretchers that are 1 3/4” thick by 4” wide, I had to get back to laminating. The rest of the bench so far has all been built with Lenga (Chilean Cherry, some call it), but I recently acquired a bunch of nominal 1×8 black mahogany that had been edge glued for width. I got it cheap (very cheap) because it was edge glued with no attention given to matching the color. The material is 3/4” thick, and I d...

Read this entry »


View Andy Panko's profile

Building My Roubo Bench #10: Connecting the Stretchers to Legs...to THE TOP!

02-25-2012 03:18 PM by Andy Panko | 1 comment »

These posts haven’t been exactly chronological. For example, in the last entry, (about finishing the underside of the top) some of the stuff I did prior to finishing the legs and stretchers, and some of it I did after. But for the sake of giving better flow to this blog, I thought I’d lump stuff together in logical parts. I digress. My drawbore pin arrived from Lee Valley recently, so I was able to finally connect all these mortis and tenon joints. As I had previously menti...

Read this entry »


View Andy Panko's profile

Building My Roubo Bench #8: Attaching the Stretchers to the Legs

02-19-2012 10:16 PM by Andy Panko | 1 comment »

I had thought that I previously finished the legs (except for mortising for the stretchers). However, after visualizing how the top would mate to the legs, I realized I needed to adjust the tenons on the two legs on the left of the bench. I’m going to be putting the left legs flush with the left edge of the top. I don’t want to be able to see the tenons from the side of the top when the project is complete. Using the table saw, I notched the tenons on the top of the legs so th...

Read this entry »


View Eric's profile

Roubo-Moxon Bench Build #7: The Legs (Without Pegs)

10-31-2010 04:27 PM by Eric | 2 comments »

I don’t know what is making me procrastinate on this bench. I think maybe it was the hand planing that was a part of this next step. Well anyway, it wasn’t that hard – I just had to make the tenons on the long stretchers a bit narrower so they’d fit nice and snug in the mortises. Not too hard. Next step – whittling some pegs for drawboring the stretchers, and at the same time getting a start on laminating the benchtop!

Read this entry »


View mot's profile

Auxillary Workbench #3: Using Dowelmax to join the bases with stretchers - VIDEO

05-22-2007 01:08 AM by mot | 12 comments »

I wanted to put a bolt through the stretchers in order to tighten up an seasonal slack that might occur with this bench. The perfect thing to do, (perfect only because I thought of it,) was to use two dowels for anti-rotation pins and then put a bolt through the stretcher. This is just a short blog entry today. This video is how I used Dowelmax to align the stretchers to the base. In part IV of this series, I’ll discuss the top of the bench, and move on to the skirt and vise i...

Read this entry »


View fred's profile

Thorsen Side Table #2: Aprons and legs dry fit

04-29-2007 07:59 PM by fred | 6 comments »

Progress is definitely being made. I used my new Router Mortising Jig and cut the mortises on the legs and stretchers. The new jig worked far better than I had expected. Woohoo! The plans don’t tell you everything to expect so when I did the first dry fit of the legs and aprons I found that some of the tenons did not properly fit. The mortises were 7/8” deep and the tenons were ¾”. Naturally, if the mortises are in the center of a 1 ¼” leg then the tenons would not fit all the way. I h...

Read this entry »


View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Thorsen Table Challenge #2: Take a Little Peek.

04-10-2007 05:48 AM by Dick, & Barb Cain | 20 comments »

I took a couple of days off, but it helped me come up with some fresh ideas. I went out to my shop this afternoon, & made a couple of Templates, one for the aprons, & one for the stretchers. Now I’m all set to make parts on the router table

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com