This is where we left off last time—- a basic carcass completed but no tools inside it yet. On a side note, do you prefer to spell it carcass or carcase? I’ve seen it both ways. So now comes the fun part: figuring out how I’m going to fit all these tools into the upper section of tool chest. At this point, I’m not really concerned with my larger hand saws, my specialty planes, mallets etc., but most of the smaller hand tools. It seems like a lot of tools, but if...
I rarely have a large amount of sheet goods, and when I do it tends to sit around for a limited time. Given that I really don’t want to waste space in my very small shop, so I’ve decided that my wood storage cart should have slide-out base. This is a little difficult to describe clearly so, here’s the picture of the result both closed: and opened: This allows me to squeeze this down to just under 24” with only a couple of sheets stored. It can be pulled out an ex...
I, like so many other neophyte woodworkers have too much stuff and not enough space. I only bought what I needed and only built what really needed to be made. So now here I am, 12’x18’ garage, detached, unheated, one little 60 watt bulb (10’ up on the ceiling), one plug in the ceiling (for the garage door opener). Then I got the table saw. Then my folks moved into a little retirement house. Between the inherited tools and the new prevalence of cut-offs I can’t tur...
I have previously commented on the transition to a new workshop knowing this would be a long, long, process. But with each journey, you must take one step at a time. Last year I built a garden shed/greenhouse as a first step. Mowers, tillers, chainsaw, etc. all have a new home thus clearing the current “shed’s” dropshed. I just began phase two – and this involves closing in about 2/3 of the carport. The motivation to write about it came from the shelving I ...
For the pictures, click here. After returning from the Bahamas, I had a long list of projects and ideas that needed some attention. But I discovered that finding other stuff to do first is almost inherent in operating a woodshop. Case in point—-I needed to work on a mirror frame that we had planned to create from trim. Sounds simple enough, just measure and cut the trim and stain and install, right? Well, I decided I wanted to cut the miters by hand. I have a miter saw and a m...
Wall space is a premium in my shop because of the multiple uses of the space. When I started thinking about making clamps I knew I would need a place to store them. I devised a way to put a clamp rack in front of my scrap stick area and hinge it so that it could be pulled up to the ceiling when I didn’t need to access my longer clamps. It’s raised with two pullies with the rope held taught with an old window sash weight. A clip hooks onto a screw eye at the bottom of the rack...
I wanted an easy way to make some dividers in the drawers in my shop. This proved to be a quick and effective method. Thanks for watching!
The new shop is coming together, but as we try to figure out where everything goes we’re realizing that some things that looked like good ideas in theory aren’t really working in practice. One of those things is my roll-around clamp rack. Charlene mentioned that what we really needed was something that retracted into the ceiling. I thought about it a bit, and eventually realized that we had the electric winch left over from the mechanism I built to lift the dirt to the roof....
I downloaded a CAD file for this open source work bench design ages ago, and set about scavenging recycled materials. I purchased a couple sheets of 5/8” MDF that was extra from a job we ran at work and got the shop forman to cut the drawer sides, ends and drawer box sides, tops and bottoms on the panel saw. I then came across a pallet of 42”x42” chipboard that one of our customers asked us to scrap out for them, and was able to get 10 or so sheets for free. I order...
At one point in another forum post here on LJs, I offered a tool cabinet would be worked using the raw materials salvaged from this old Hoosier cabinet topper. Including the beat up piece of tambour door. Some fine grit ROS work on the tambouR got it to look presentable; here it is sitting on top of the now-disassembled topper. Not sure where this is headed, evidenced by the foot-dragging on the project so far. But, I did build a headboard in the meantime, so it’...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1427 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 92 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1451 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 192 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 178 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries