I left off cutting the top in my last post. I got the top to fit the saw and extended the miter slots with a router. I than attached the top and routed the edges (with a pattern bit) to fit and glued and nailed it in place. The next important step was to level the 8 feet on the cabinet and adjust the bolts on the base of the saw until the table saw and island are level and the saw is just a hair higher than the surface of the island. I used bench levelers from woodpeckers for the feet and al...
I had planned on adding a work cart of some kind to the shop after I got my other projects done, but when my neighbor said he could get some old airline beverage service carts from work, my timeline changed. He was able to get me two carts with a full compliment of trays and I got to thinking that they would make a great cart if I joined them together and just added a top. That sounded great in theory, but they were a little too tall, especially when putting a top on them, too. So I decide...
Two years ago, cajoled by a 12 year old grandson we moved from Wisconsin to Michigan. I had put together a pretty nice basement shop. Most projects were attached to the house, little in the way of furniture or dressy things. Moving the shop has been torture. Most of the projects here have been to make build storage, repair cabinets, change what was a duplex into a single family “home” etc. Finally the shop detail is about done. So I expect to post some details about my shop a...
I’m very excited about this new word I’ve stumbled upon. This is an actual, in-use word combining xylo- from the Greek xulo- from xulon, – wood – and the Latin -arium (genitive -āriī), second declension – a place where things are kept from other things, or a place associated with a specific thing. In other words, a xylarium would be a place in which wood is stored. It seems to apply best to vault-like collections. Here's a short, interesting article (with phot...
During the construction of a project there is often a need for organizing and storing parts. This is obvously a temporary need because as the work progresses, you construct parts and then assemble them. I like to use a 4’ scaffold as a mobile cart to store and organize the parts that I have made. I bought my scaffold for $99 although I have noticed that the price has risen on them over the last couple of years. It comes with steel platform shelves to stand on and I used plywoo...
edit – I actually did this before the workbench, but since I’m adding it to this series after the fact, it winds up as #2. I designed this partly to learn more about using SketchUp, and partly because its something I’d like to make to keep organized and clean. After looking at what I usually keep on hand and the sizes of scraps I seem to accumulate, and combining some ideas from a few other mobile racks I’ve seen on LJs, I came up with this. Its 24” wide, by ...
In our last episode…the desk unit came together nicely. Now for the dresser unit… The dresser unit, like the desk unit has to be built in “mirror image” from it’s design from the first bed. The dresser features three drawers that are 28”Wx7”Hx22”D. I’m putting full-extension drawer slides on the drawers, to give easy access all the way to the back of the drawers. A feature of the dresser that I really like in this design is th...
Just when I thought I was done… I started milling parts and realized that I needed my mobile parts cart. It is actually a 4’ scaffold that I decided worked better as a mobile parts cart. Over the last couple of years it had turned into a permanent storage cart for templates and all around catch-all cart. I stopped work and got a few sticks of framing lumber. I picked the best I could find and cleaned them up in my sanding machine. I drilled 1/2” holes every six inc...
Had some shop time today with 42 degrees outside, it was quite a lovely day. my compressor came back to life also – I guess when it goes below 40 the air is too thin for the compressor to be able to raise the pressure in the tank. I also got the radiant heater from Lee Valley. Last time around, by the time I decided to order it- they were out of stock, and just received new stock this week. it works well, not as well as I was hoping for, but decent. To turn it on/off you have to yank...
I Am On Fire! It was -15° outside but I was burning up in the shop with an intense desire to organize the lumber rack and get rid of extra stock. This was the last of three projects that I started during the Christmas/New Years week. 1. Sheet the last unfinished wall with plywood.2. Create a sheet goods organizer3. Organize lumber rack and get rid of extra lumber Here is the before picture of the lumber storage area. But take a look at the lumber and sheet goods area now! ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1539 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1564 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 169 entries