I sold my old lumber storage solution which was… inelegant, to put it lightly. I am purposely storing this set of lumber outside, half because I ran out of room in my indoor storage, but also to have a bit of weathered wood handy, should the need arise. I went simple with this, using some pallet runners, I bored some holes at a slight angle ever so slightly undersized for the conduit pieces I had prepared as shelf supports. I then attached the wood brackets to the wall and hammered in...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1730: #1730 A Box Filled With "Possibilities"
What is better than a beautifully crafted, furniture quality box?Why a beautifully crafted, furniture quality box filled with supplies, of course! Yesterday, I showed you the lovely box that I snagged on the Derwent site last weekend. For the price (about $140 CDN or $115 USD SHIPPED from England) I was thrilled with the quality and workmanship that Derwent used to build it. But let's face it – the reason that I ordered it in the first place was to use it for storing my odds an...
As an artist, I love getting new supplies. Besides loving to work in so many different types of media, being active on the internet and participating in classes and online forums exposes me to many, many different new and exciting products. It really keeps my creative juices flowing and I love trying new techniques and products. It is a wonderful part of what I do. Many of you know that I live in a very small place. Keith and I have lived in a one bedroom apartment for over seven years n...
Thanks to everyone for sticking with me to the end. In this video I cover all the little things that have to happen before I can finish, as well as the finishing process itself. The bench turned out better than expected and my customer was elated. As always, keep the conversation going below. Thanks for watching! View on YouTube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thomaslightleFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/redbarnwoodworking/Twitter: https://twitter.com/tnlightleWebsite: http://w...
No voiceover today. I needed just under 18” to make the top, so I opted to make the panel out of 3 – 6” wide boards. I chose 6” because that is pretty much the maximum capacity of my jointer. I got to use my biscuit joiner for the first time on this project. I got it for a steal on clearance last year and have been waiting to use it ever since. Once I got it dialed in, it was pretty easy to use. The joints lined up perfectly with the biscuits aiding in the alignm...
With the workbench complete, it’s time to make some kind of storage system for the hand tools I’ll be using on the bench. I’ve amassed a small collection of older Stanley planes, a couple of LN block planes, a few chisels of different varieties and various other tools that I’d like to have readily accessible from the bench. I’ve chosen to make a stand that will sit next to the bench. The design is still not solidified, but I did start on the section dedicated ...
A lot has to happen between cutting the joinery and gluing the panels. I had to fine tune many of the joints, repair some mistakes, and make some finishing cuts to the legs and arms of the bench. Once that was all done, I could glue up the panels. It is nerve-wracking because you only get one shot. Needless to say I did about 100 dry-fits just to be absolutely certain everything would go together properly. The glue-up went as planned without any hiccups. I had to sand most of the joints...
Hey! I figured out how to embed videos. Yay! Next step is to create the panels that will fit in the tongue and groove joinery of the frame. I chose 1/2” red oak plywood. That way I would have a 1/4” reveal on the outside and the panels would be flush with the frame on the inside.Some of the techniques I practiced in this session are the following:Cross-cutting veneer plywood with minimal tear-outSetting up a dado blade for cutting rabbetsPreparation of panel stock for stainin...
I decided not to narrate this one. I think the video speaks for itself. This is all the rail and stile joinery I did for the frame of the bench. Nothing revolutionary here, but I did summarize the mistakes I made at the end of the video.Enjoy! Oak Storage Bench Part Three: The Joinery
I thought I would try something different for bit storage this time. I grabbed one of those magnetic tool holders from Harbor Freight, cut a bunch of V-grooves into it with the bench grinder and bam, instant Forstner bit rack. What do you guys think?Enjoy! Magnetic Forstner Bit Storage
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 215 entries
- stefang - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 209 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries