At the very start, let me give all the credit in the world to Tedth66, whose project this is totally based on, and who has been graciously providing guidance as I build this. This is a modification of his design, adding a few details, and making it work for my shop. I have a 2 car garage / workshop that is tremendously space challenged, so I need to be clever about every square inch. On top of that, I enjoy modifying designs and making them work custom for me. So when I saw Ted’s ...
I finally got the other rack [I bought 2 and put one inside.] into the wood storage area… Went down to my mate Pat’s Demolition yard and picked up 3 of the 5 pallets of European Wild Cherry that I had stored there. [These boards are of various length and width and thickness… mainly 2’ long. 1 to 2’’ thick and up to 4’’ wide.] The other 2 are coming tomorrow.Even though we had them wrapped they were stored outside and they are slightly damp.. oh...
I Am On Fire! It was -15° outside but I was burning up in the shop with an intense desire to organize the lumber rack and get rid of extra stock. This was the last of three projects that I started during the Christmas/New Years week. 1. Sheet the last unfinished wall with plywood.2. Create a sheet goods organizer3. Organize lumber rack and get rid of extra lumber Here is the before picture of the lumber storage area. But take a look at the lumber and sheet goods area now! ...
Grandkids And The Studio Furniture Movement The space-time continuum changes when you add the grandkids factor to the intended work progress equation, but that is OK. Rita and I had a couple of the grandsons for the weekend and they spent some time in the shop with me. I went out to the shop Saturday morning with the 2 boys in tow (ages 3 and 4) and thought that I would finish my organizational efforts in just a few hours – silly me. It took me all morning just to install the ceil...
First Snow! Yesterday we woke up to the first snow of the season. We ended up officially receiving 4.6” but it has mostly melted off by this morning. Rita’s garden is looking pretty sad. You may be wondering, and the answer is “yes.” That is a genuine outhouse but the pit has been filled and it is used as a small gardening tool shed. Putting new shakes on the roof is on my honey-do list. On to the shop… I started working yesterday and I got on...
A French cleat is as ingenious as it is simple. It involves securing a strip of wood with a 45 degree bevel to the wall, and then securing an opposing beveled strip on the back of a cabinet or anything you want to hang. Its incredibly strong and versatile. Its a great way to hang cabinetry and as you’ll see in this video, it can be used to make an awesome modular wall storage unit.
This is where we left off last time—- a basic carcass completed but no tools inside it yet. On a side note, do you prefer to spell it carcass or carcase? I’ve seen it both ways. So now comes the fun part: figuring out how I’m going to fit all these tools into the upper section of tool chest. At this point, I’m not really concerned with my larger hand saws, my specialty planes, mallets etc., but most of the smaller hand tools. It seems like a lot of tools, but if...
i had a compund miter saw that i never used, coz it was in the corner, and i couldn’t et to it. i had a pegboard that i coudn’t reach.i had wood cut-off storage all over the place.my RAS and big table saw were at right angles to each other, and i like that. sort of like command central.i needed more wall storage; when i installed the RAS, i put up pegs for blades—wrong. after a half-dozen drawings and estimates of materials and countless trips to HD, for pricing, i fina...
Just when I thought I was done… I started milling parts and realized that I needed my mobile parts cart. It is actually a 4’ scaffold that I decided worked better as a mobile parts cart. Over the last couple of years it had turned into a permanent storage cart for templates and all around catch-all cart. I stopped work and got a few sticks of framing lumber. I picked the best I could find and cleaned them up in my sanding machine. I drilled 1/2” holes every six inc...
OK, so that’s how I like my steaks, but as for lumber – I really like it dry, and just right! When I took on the Bowling Lane Workbench project, I knew I’d have to reorganize the work space a tad bit (ok, more than just that). Especially since I also got the planer which takes considerable space, I knew things would have to be moved around to give me room to walk/stand, and work comfortably and safely. the new workbench now resides where my medium/longer (anything that...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1198 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1220 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries